Talk

Advanced search

So went to the husky rescue....

(7 Posts)
whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Sun 11-Sep-16 19:54:22

And came home with this gorgeous Siberian husky pup. She's called Nala and she's 9 months old. She's had a rough life with 3 owners and a foster family in her short life. She's very placid though, house trained but not trained outside of that.

She's been with a foster family for the last 6 weeks but the husband has fallen ill so she would have had to go into kennels. The foster family had another dog and 3 kids and said she was brilliant. She's been running round the offlead place at the rescue with the kids all afternoon. I couldn't bear to wave her off to kennels so we are winging it.

So anyone got some must dos for me? We had a house check 3 months ago but hadn't really thought about bringing her home today.

I hid all the chocolate and medication but that's as far as I've got. We have food random blankets and a borrowed bowl and lead right now! First job in the morning is a trip to the pet store.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 13-Sep-16 08:49:55

She's beautiful!

Food and water bowls. Huskies are quite strong so you might want to consider a harness if she pulls rather than a collar. My boy is a very tall greyhound so I got him an ergonomic feeding station. Dog bed that she can properly stretch out on. Dentasticks for her teeth. Does she like dog toys? Lots of poo bags (although we get those from Tesco). What food is she eating?

If you go to Pets At Home she can go with you. She might have a wee in there, though, because so many dogs do grin

She's beautiful by the way!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 13-Sep-16 08:50:33

...did I mention that she's beautiful?

Sadik Tue 13-Sep-16 09:18:19

Congratulations smile My old boy (who sadly died earlier this year aged 16) was a husky cross. I'd second the recommendation for a harness, and also lots and lots of really positive training. Ddog had really excellent recall (well until his later years when he developed selective deafness . . .), but we did spend an awful lot of time on it when he was young.
I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice on here re. training, obviously I'm well out of date with the latest recommendations, but IME with huskies/husky crosses I've known, the time you put in will be repaid 100 fold. (Unlike some terriers who always know best whatever you do!!!)

BagelGoesWalking Tue 13-Sep-16 10:17:23

Dog Training Support group

Saints Sled Dog Rescue I know you've got your rescue but it may be interesting to join.

I guess whichever your rescue is will have an FB group - useful to see how other owners deal with issues that arise

BastardGoDarkly Tue 13-Sep-16 10:20:36

Awwww she's gorgeous!

Yep, lots of hard work and exercise ahead!

Definitely a harness for a husky smile

TrionicLettuce Tue 13-Sep-16 13:36:18

A good quality harness for her (SASS hear is quite often recommended by people I know with northern breeds) plus a walking belt and some decent running shoes for you grin

Indi-Dog do some great made to measure walking belts. They're a godsend if you have a dog who needs to be on lead a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now