Talk

Advanced search

Dog ate chocolate- vet or no?

(7 Posts)
Pogmella Wed 07-Sep-16 20:10:13

Wcs just grabbed a dark chocolate cookie off the side. I estimate she ingested 16g dark choc and 3g of cocoa? She is about 10kg. Do I call the vet?

Nutfreepeanutter Wed 07-Sep-16 20:11:26

I would, even if they just induce vomiting for you and let you know what to watch for and so they can be ready if you need an emergency app later on

SaggyNaggy Wed 07-Sep-16 20:12:57

www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/dog-eaten-chocolate/

I'd say yes. Better safe than sorry tbh.

PikachuSayBoo Wed 07-Sep-16 20:13:25

If you google there's a website which works it all out for you when you put in weight of dog and g of chocolate.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:15:51

I know that chocolate is proven to be a bad thing now but years ago my rotty are my entire collection of Easter eggs- complete with boxes and had no ill effects at all!! Cast iron stomach maybe?!

Pogmella Wed 07-Sep-16 20:18:09

Have called vet. She's really skinny and I don't know exactly how much she had so rather err on side of caution. They're going to call back...

Pogmella Wed 07-Sep-16 21:36:56

Just back from the vets. They use the same online calculators so she had an emetic injection and charcoal. Glad we went, she only weighed 9.8 (9.4 after vomiting!) and the cookie was huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now