Talk

Advanced search

Can DDog do couch to 5k?

(12 Posts)
diplodocus Mon 05-Sep-16 09:19:13

I'm planning to start couch to 5k this week and had intended that Ddog would come with me - she's a medium sized three year old cross. However, a friend said that while the early stages (where it's a mixture of walking and running) would be fine, dogs shouldn't run for any distance at a constant pace as it was bad for their heart - they are designed to sprint in short bursts. I know plenty of people who run far faster and further than I'm ever likely to go with their dogs but wondered if my friend was right? Ddog is slim and fit (unlike me) and a houndy sort of build.

takesnoprisoners Mon 05-Sep-16 09:31:12

You won't do 5k on the first day. It is a slow buildup, I assume. Your dog will be fine! Go for it and good luck smile

ZippyNeedsFeeding Mon 05-Sep-16 09:35:55

For reassurance, I'd ask your vet (perhaps when you're there anyway for annual vaccinations or something).

diplodocus Mon 05-Sep-16 09:41:13

No - we certainly won't be doing 5k on the first day (I can hardly run to the bottom of the drive even if DDog was up for it)! It takes 9 weeks at best. Will mention to vet - she's due vaccinations in around a month which will be before there's too much solid running involved.

tabulahrasa Mon 05-Sep-16 12:11:00

Assuming it's a fittish healthy dog, you'll be fine...dogs can run for way longer than 5k as long as it's not all of a sudden.

diplodocus Mon 05-Sep-16 12:32:33

Thanks! She's just done her first (gentle) session and certainly looks a lot better than me!

Floralnomad Mon 05-Sep-16 15:21:13

If you google there is an actual dog version that you can follow with the dog , I'm not sure how much it differs from the norm .

KoalaDownUnder Mon 05-Sep-16 15:24:15

My dog is a 3-year-old houndy cross and she and I walk/run more than 5 km every single day. smile

Vet says she's in stunning health!

CMOTDibbler Mon 05-Sep-16 15:26:24

My dogs love running with me, and do up to 14km together (I get fed up of them on runs longer than that tbh) - they are lurchers and for them me running is a very gentle trot. DDog1 and I did C25K together. They get very excited when I put my running shoes on smile

FluffyFluffster Tue 06-Sep-16 09:20:47

Ddog will love it! My tiny ball of fur can run a surprising distance and loves every second, she wouldn't miss it for anything!

DoubleCarrick Tue 06-Sep-16 09:24:49

I probably wouldn't do it with mine on lead as he's crossed with a german shepherd - although I've done it off lead before, laps round a field. He just lay down and watched me do laps after the first circuit!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 06-Sep-16 09:29:06

I was doing it in April with HisNinnyuggins....only I feckered my ankles after three weeks, they are still not right and last month my precious piepuppy had major spinal surgery, and is down to five minutes on lead exercise

so neither of us are doing very well.

He absolutely loved it though!

I cannot do it with the other dog as he is a complete bastard about running...presumes you are escaping and he is not going to allow that! He gets totally in your way on purpose. Used to do it when the children were smaller too...chase them and stop them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now