Talk

Advanced search

More rescue pup help please - nipping dd?

(18 Posts)
PonyoLovesHam Mon 29-Aug-16 19:47:23

We've had our rescue pup nearly 2 weeks now, he's an 8 month old terrier cross. He seems to have settled well mostly, but there are some things I wanted to get experienced dog owners perspectives on please!

Firstly, in the last few days he has been sniffing dd age 5 bum and then nipping her when she comes downstairs in the morning,  he does this with his willy out most of the time too. We stop him, tell him off and have got her doing his food and giving him treats but wanted to know if there's more we/she should be doing? 
This started after we stopping putting him in the kitchen at night and shut him in a crate at the bottom of the stairs - he's happier and not crying all night but maybe he thinks he's moved up a bit in the pecking order? 

Also - when we go out we shut him in the kitchen. When we come back he's on the kitchen table or the kitchen side. I don't know if this is just 'to be expected' because we're leaving him or if we need to do more about it. And if we do, what is it?! 

Thanks to anyone who read that. I did start a thread about him when we first got him and got some good advice, i thought I'd be better off starting another for these new questions! 

Also any general advice / tips welcome 😊

winwhizzer Mon 29-Aug-16 21:08:07

The puppy doesn't give a jot about pecking order.

I would put the puppy in the crate when you go out to prevent the table climbing.

Re nipping your DD. Make sure the puppy is on a lead when your DD comes down the stairs to prevent the nipping (does it only happen when she comes down the stairs) I would also get your DD to throw treats onto the floor to direct your puppies attention onto the ground when your DD us around.

PonyoLovesHam Mon 29-Aug-16 22:35:04

Thanks win. 
I mentioned the pecking order because the pup doesn't nip me or dh, just dh? Good idea about putting him on a lead. 

Will try the crate in the day, worth a go! 

AdelindSchade Tue 30-Aug-16 07:57:27

The willy thing is just excitement. My male dog gets his lipstick out for all sorts of reasons; food,walks, seeing his favourite people. Kids tend to flap their arms about and squeak which makes the dog think it's great fun. We had the same problem with ddog 2, also a terrier x, but she has grown out of it now, and her and dd are great friends. I think keeping pup on lead is a good idea. Anything to keep that interaction calm and reward pup for this. Get dd to calmly walk away from pup if he is doing unnaceptable behaviour. I know she is only 5 so easier said than done. Where does he nip?

winwhizzer Tue 30-Aug-16 08:23:07

Yep agree that the pup is targeting your DD as she is smaller, faster higher pitched voice etc which will excite him more than us slightly calmer boring adults.

rightknockered Tue 30-Aug-16 13:13:37

When I got my puppy from rescue, I kept a leash on her, just a short one, so I could easily stop her whenever she did anything I didn't want her to. It worked, I can now leave her anywhere in the house at 1 year old.

rightknockered Tue 30-Aug-16 13:13:50

Obviously without a leash

stonecircle Tue 30-Aug-16 14:05:23

Yes, our male dog's lipstick pops out at bizarre times - often when he's excited (going for a walk) but often for no obvious reasons.

His probably pops out when he sees your ds because he sees her as a playmate so he's excited (not because he's feeling sexually aroused).

We have a 7 month old girl at the moment. She nips ds more than anybody. He's 19! But he squeals and makes a game of it so she's always trying to nip his ankles, bum, thighs and privates.

She doesn't do it much with the rest of us though because we don't react in a way the puppy sees as playing. I read that it's ok to let puppies 'mouth' you but as soon as they bite or nip, you should shout really loudly. Seems to work - she stops dead when I do it and looks at me like I've lost my marbles! DS on the other hand just squeals - which the puppy loves!

Catinthecorner Tue 30-Aug-16 14:49:39

Yes to the crate when you leave. Pop a stuffed Kong and some chew toys in with him too.

With regard to the nipping I'd echo keeping a short leash on pup. When he puts his mouth on her/other undesirable behaviour give a key word to indicate this behaviour isn't appropriate (ah-ah, no, whatever you like as long as you're consistent) and pull him away from your daughter. Firm, calm, consistent.

2kids2dogsnosense Tue 30-Aug-16 19:05:03

His nipping and his "lipstick" are just related to over-excitement (as others have said). Terriers are very excitable and reactive dogs - they were initially bred to dig out and kill rats, so the traits of speed and instinctual reactivity are very strong in them He is also at 8 months an adolescent. I assume if he is a rescue that he has had his "test-icicles" off, so any behaviour he exhibits is definitely over-enthusiasm rather than sexual. (He may still hump, but that is a play/excitement thing, too).

He is obviously very taken with your daughter - high voice, rapid movements and a kissable face at a level he can reach - what's not to love?

Do as Stonecircle advises and give a piercing screech. It's what puppies in a litter do if one of them gets a painful nip, and it distracts the other dog and makes them stop.

Glad to hear that other than this he's settling well.

PonyoLovesHam Tue 30-Aug-16 20:01:46

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the help. Also made me feel a bit better, I was worrying it was more of a big deal than it is by the sounds of it. 

Also chuckling to myself at the dog getting his "lipstick" out 😄 never heard that before and it's very accurate! 😂 

I'll try the lead on him especially in the morning when he seems to nip the most. 

2kids he's not had his balls off yet but it's a requirement of the adoption so will be getting it done in a couple of months. Don't know if that will make a difference? 

He does seem to be settled well otherwise. Took him on a walk today and loved him trotting along looking up at me every now and then! 

PonyoLovesHam Tue 30-Aug-16 20:02:28

Here's a photo smile

stonecircle Tue 30-Aug-16 20:50:46

I think it was Peter Kay who first referred to a dog's lipstick grin. I've only ever lived with girl dogs until we got our boy 6 years ago. Quite an eye opener blush. It's most prominent when he's about to go for a walk!

stonecircle Tue 30-Aug-16 20:53:36

Also .... This phase probably won't last. We got a 6 month old German shepherd when I was 7. I can remember coming down the stairs each morning and her running at me, putting her paws on my shoulders (so face to face) and chasing me round the house nipping my ankles. She soon settled down though.

insan1tyscartching Tue 30-Aug-16 21:02:45

He's probably getting up on the table when you are out because he's anxious and being higher up gives him a better view on what is going on and the chance to spot any potential threats. Eric sleeps on the table or on the window sill if he's alone, we have a specific plastic backed cloth we put on the table before we leave and make sure we clean the table well before meals.

PonyoLovesHam Wed 31-Aug-16 11:23:55

Makes sense it would be Peter Kay. I can imagine him saying that! Thanks stone, that's reassuring. 

Insan1ty we've just been cleaning the table well too, he's still settling in so bound to want to watch for us coming home. Might get a mat too like you said. I also have to clean his doggy nose marks from the inside of the window too! 

AdelindSchade Wed 31-Aug-16 19:12:20

He's very cute! smile

PonyoLovesHam Wed 31-Aug-16 19:38:41

Thanks adelind grin I think so too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now