Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and plums?

(5 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 29-Aug-16 09:52:56

We have a plum tree in our garden, the plums are ready now and quite a few fall each day. The dogs have discovered them and love to eat them. According to Google plums are good for dogs. But what about the stones? I've been picking the ones up that fall but on a couple of occasions I've picked up the dogs poo and seen a plum stone in it. Even found a poo that consisted of no less than 6 plum stones and nothing else shock

Surely this can't be good for them, but how can I get them to stop? I can try and pick up as many plums as I can but I'm not always going to get 100% of them.

LimeJellyHead Mon 29-Aug-16 13:42:37

We also have a plum tree. Each year we put up a fruit tree net up to catch them all and stop them reaching the ground. You can find them on Amazon/eBay.

Themoleisdead Mon 29-Aug-16 13:45:53

Missing point of thread entirely but a friend had a pony that would eat a plum by suck the ripe flesh off and then spit the stone out. I was always impressed by this.

WyldFyre Tue 30-Aug-16 07:31:43

Id be worried about the stones causing an internal obstruction

GinIsIn Tue 30-Aug-16 07:39:06

Our dog does this with our fruit trees too - should be fine. How big is the dog? The fact that you are already finding stones that have passed without issue is a good sign.

On an unrelated note, if they are eating loads you may want to cut back on their normal food - our dog always gets very fat this time of year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now