Talk

Advanced search

First time in kennels

(7 Posts)
Chihuahualala Sun 28-Aug-16 11:46:49

Talk me down please MN - I have 2 6 year old chihuahuas (female and spayed) who I am due to put in Kennels for the first time next week. It's only 3 days but is a trial run in prep for an 11 day holiday in October.

Both are quite nervy around other dogs after an unleashed Jack Russell ran up to them on the attack when they were about one.

One is part pug and quite s robust 4 kilos , the other is 2 kilos and tiny.

I've seen the kennels, the owner is aware of their needs and is going to,put them in a heated, quiet area for me but I'm argh!

Chihuahualala Sun 28-Aug-16 11:48:48

Previously, I've paid to have them visited 4x a day at Home and they've been fine but I have resorted to this after a spate of burglaries in the area.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Mon 29-Aug-16 09:54:51

Would you be better finding them a home boarder?

chough Mon 29-Aug-16 14:17:04

Any family who would take them in while you're away?

TrionicLettuce Mon 29-Aug-16 14:41:15

I much prefer good, professional kennels to home boarders or leaving the dogs with inexperienced family members.

I wouldn't worry too much about them not being keen on other dogs, the kennel shouldn't be mixing dogs that aren't from the same family anyway.

I would though start with a shorter period than three days if they've never been in kennels at all before. A decent one should let you start with a half day then a whole day before you move up to actually leaving them overnight there.

Hoppinggreen Mon 29-Aug-16 14:42:50

Try and find a home boarder. Our dog stays with an ex dogs trust behaviourist and her gang when we go away. I get daily FB updates and dint worry about him at all.
They have to be licenced and registered too
I could never put my boy in kennels unless there was no alternative

clam Mon 29-Aug-16 14:46:58

Another vote here for home boarding. There are loads of professional set- ups around these days.

I would never put my dog in kennels. He's never been crated in his life (tried as a puppy and hated it) and I know some places keep them crated 23 hours a day, pretty much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now