Talk

Advanced search

Skinner's dog food?

(9 Posts)
PacificDogwod Tue 23-Aug-16 21:58:14

Any experiences?

I am looking at Allaboutdogfood and it looks good on paper, with less of an outlay than Millie's Wolfheart which is what I was intending on trialling.

DDog is almost 3 years, rescue greyhound, been with us for almost 18 months, has 4-5 soft to very soft poos/day and is still as skinny as if he were racing. Vet checked (repeatedly) and full of energy and beans, v shiny coat - I am not concerned about his health.
RAW/BARF has been vetoed by DH for the time being.

Any experiences much appreciated smile

ScattyHattie Wed 24-Aug-16 01:07:58

Only the hypoallergenic ones are good, I've fed the field & trial salmon or duck and rice (cheaper than others being VAT free). My greyhounds do well on the salmon but output on duck seems a bit softer for them anyway, i tend to feed the Autarky salmon though now as its cheaper than skinners & similar.

For better quality ingredients & lower than millies price, this stuff is good and as its cold pressed it doesn't swell up & smells nice even to me . My pack loved both chicken & beef versions and has been only kibble my fussy diva will eat out as treats on a walk. www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/lukullus

PacificDogwod Wed 24-Aug-16 07:37:58

Thank you, Hattie, it's the hypoallergenic versions I've been thinking about.
Good to know your experience thanks

WyldFyre Wed 24-Aug-16 09:42:20

I always recommend Skinners F&T for people on a budget. It's the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Harringtons but far superior quality.
Took me four years to bully dad into taking his (and mine when she was there) off Bakers and part of the reason I succeeded was because of its comparable price.

Once one it we have seen a big difference, especially in his oldest dog.
Last September she looked more like 14 than the 9 she is. She was moving more slowly and was generally "old lady". Now she's doing Zoomies round the garden with my almost five year old.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 24-Aug-16 10:07:26

Lab and Golden Retriever here. On Skinners museli mix. Both love it. Only food fussy retriever will eat.

SecretSpy Wed 24-Aug-16 10:21:02

We've been using the Salmon and Rice one for years, I'm really happy with it. Very tidy poos and dogs are in good nick (border collie and terrier mutt)

WeAllHaveWings Wed 24-Aug-16 13:01:52

Skinners is a good budget food is you cant afford to go grain free.

But be aware not all Skinners is good, the Muesli mix is particularly bad as it contains sugar and other undesirables and gets a measly 1.6 out of 5 rating. Check out the varieties on allaboutdogfood.

PacificDogwod Thu 25-Aug-16 20:47:06

Thank you all smile

I've emailed Millie's Wolfheart and had a very detailed and knowledgable sounding, long email back - I am v impressed tbh, so I think I will trial it.

I have of course also put my name in the hat for MNHQ's current Pedigree promotion shockhmmgrin

2kids2dogsnosense Tue 30-Aug-16 19:52:33

I use Skinner's Field and Trial and the Rough and Ready and the dogs love them both and are in excellent condition - plenty of energy and beautiful coats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now