Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a breed?

(78 Posts)
Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 16:54:45

Not for me but for my mum. I have eyes for GSD only so can't think past something wolf looking and huge grin

Requirements are:
Small to medium ideally but not set in stone.
Easy to train, intelligent.
Good with small children as I have a baby who my mum babysits twice a week along with my dogs.
Must be able to be let off lead and be easily housetrained (so i think this rules out lots of toy breeds?)
Must be able to be left alone for short periods without loosing the plot.
We are not a gun dog type family and she does not really like spaniels, retrievers or Labradors. Also no bull breeds.

The ideal breed would come out with me and my GSD daily as we live in the same street, so not easily squishable but sensible enough to be happy at home once we have been out and about.

She loves corgis but they are very hard to get hold of. If only I could shrink a GSD in the wash it would be ideal but we think 3 very large dogs may be a bit much. This one would primerally live with my mum as I said but it will have dog company lots of the time.

We have thought about whippets but I have friends with them and they are mental and not easily trained blush
Poodles are also a maybe but my MILs are snappy nightmares?

So...can anyone think of a GSD like dog but smaller wink

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 16:56:02

Oh...forgot to mention one of my dogs dislikes new dogs hence looking for a puppy (she loves puppies!) rather than an older rescue. We already have 2 reacues with lots of issues so looking for something a bit easier!

takesnoprisoners Mon 22-Aug-16 17:02:32

A poodle? Or labradoodle? Border Collie? Honestly, it could be anything. Everything really depends on the individual dog's temperament. Have you tried this website Kennel Club

Have you considered any of the spitz breeds? They could be perfect although I know some aren't great with separation.
Alternatively, a miniature goldendoodle or similar cross?

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 17:57:24

Thanks to both of you.
We looked at the german spitz and also a Pomeranian but read lots about them being not good with children so discounted them. I am happy to be corrected though!

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Aug-16 18:00:59

A small lurcher? Like Simi?

OkLumberjack Mon 22-Aug-16 18:05:44

Border terrier.

Missgraeme Mon 22-Aug-16 18:07:06

Lurcher. Fab dogs!!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 22-Aug-16 18:28:33

this little one

legotits Mon 22-Aug-16 18:30:30

Poodle.

Mini poodles are still small you don't want a tiny toy one.
Standards are even better but need big walks.

DearMrDilkington Mon 22-Aug-16 18:32:19

How about a schnauzer?

sentia Mon 22-Aug-16 18:33:40

Mini Schnauzer. They don't really like being on their own a lot but for short periods it's ok. Other than that they tick all your boxes.

I've no experience with German spitz, but know a family with a Finnish Lapphund which is absolutely wonderful with their DCs

sonlypuppyfat Mon 22-Aug-16 18:38:58

I came on to say lurcher, DH had one. He was a wonderful dog gentle and good natured and he lived a good long life without ever going to the vets. Not like pedigree dogs which seem to come down with something every five minutes

lalaland1985 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:44:05

I've got a cairn terrier - fits all your requirements. She looks like toto!

WatchingFromTheWings Mon 22-Aug-16 18:44:13

Border Terrier. We went through The Kennel Club for ours. We also have a JRT and a Cairn TerrierX. Border is def the better, training and obedience wise.

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 18:45:18

Thank you all of you.

I really like the rescue ones posted. My bitch sadly won't accept another adult dog though. Not sure how easy it would be to rescue with a small child, two massive other dogs in the family, cats and working part time but we could try.
Are whippets/lurchers normally okay with cats etc or is it a big no?

Routine wise the dog would stay with my mum but would come for walks with me twice daily, usually 45mins at a quick pace. Other than that my dogs mainly sleep and I think my mum would prefer something laid back in the house rather than madness 24/7 grin

Poodles could be on the list as could schnauzers. I only have experience of MILs toy poodles and they have all bitten me and yap all day!

Off to google Finnish lapphund smile

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 18:50:59

Has anyone any experience of scottish terriers? Mum likes the beard blush

legotits Mon 22-Aug-16 18:57:33

Poodles are almost as clever as collies.
They do need training to behave but are dead easy to train.

I'm having an affair with a rescue lurcher who lives two streets away.
He's so handsome and gentle.
Legopoodle is having none of it though sad

TrionicLettuce Mon 22-Aug-16 19:02:05

Are whippets/lurchers normally okay with cats etc or is it a big no?

It depends a lot on the individual dogs and cats in question. Confident dog savvy cats and sighthounds brought up with them from puppies are usually absolutely fine together with a bit of light management. Skittish cats who are prone to running from dogs and sighthounds are not a great mix unless they're managed very, very carefully. Sighthound cat-friendliness rarely extends to any cats other than "theirs" as well.

I've got whippets and mine are neither "mental" nor have I found them particularly hard to train. Admittedly they're not as biddable as more handler dependent breeds but they're very intelligent little things and with the right motivation learn quickly. Recall training starts early with mine (in fact the breeder usually gives them a good grounding before they even come to me) and is a continuous process throughout their lives but they all go off lead on pretty much every walk.

They're lovely and chilled in the house (plus they're the cuddliest things known to man), even before they've had a walk. They're also very flexible when it comes to exercise requirements; they'll go for hours given the opportunity but they're also happy to make do with a quick 30 minute off lead blast when necessary.

Awesome little dogs!!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 22-Aug-16 19:04:17

Yes, sorry I forgot you said it had to be a puppy.

However, lots of rescues do have puppies, just not as often as adult dogs obviously. Are you in the South East, by any chance?

madgingermunchkin Mon 22-Aug-16 19:04:36

We've always had borders, and I wouldn't recommend a puppy, because they are very active. Shame you you can't rehome an older border because one would be perfect.

How about a dachund? Or a or a basset. I'd have loved a basset.

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 19:08:31

I must admit the only poodle experience i have are the devils owned by mil. They yap, fight, wee on everything and bite me shock

I would love to meet a nice poodle!

Greyhorses Mon 22-Aug-16 19:11:21

Sorry I am way up north.

We currently have two rescues. My lovely older boy who I got at a year old with major issues and my younger one who can be fear aggressive with strange adult dogs. She is fine once she knows them but she loves puppies, we have fostered a few over with no problems but I am a bit wary of bringing an adult in who is potential set in its ways incase it clashes with her.

It will be at my mums mainly but they will be together when I'm at work, during holidays and during walks too so they must get on.

My cats are lazy and not scared of dogs in the slightest but prefer to be left alone!

Footle Mon 22-Aug-16 19:12:49

Patterdale terrier. Small, smooth, very intelligent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now