dog bed large enough for 2 dogs

(9 Posts)
RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Sun 21-Aug-16 11:56:19

We have a dog corner with a raised wooden platform which is tucked away and has 3 walls around it so is safe from draughts.

At the moment the dogs sleep on sheepskins on top of that but they do stink and upset my DH!

So he wants to get something washable whereas I want them to be comfy and warm! I guess we need a memory foam mattress with a washable cover.

We only have a Pets at Home near us and their selection is rubbish and always in garish colours.

So my question is can anyone recommend a decent supplier? I've looked on Orvis and Tuffies (and reeled at the prices), Barbour looks good but says sponge-clean only unfortunately.

Any recommendations gratefully received to keep my dogs happy and not offend DH's sensitive nose!

PS They're a Weimaraner and a spaniel if that's of any interest!

Airfixkitwidow Sun 21-Aug-16 12:40:09

I have a leonberger who needed a giant and chew proof bed. I found it in b and m home stores for £25. It's fantastic. Goes in the washing machine either cover only or the whole thing, dries quickly and best of all she can snuggle into it with space either side. And it hasn't been chewed at all. Strongly recommend.

WyldFyre Sun 21-Aug-16 13:56:21

Tuffies are expensive but do last (cheap can be a false economy)
I'd see if you could find a place to do a made to measure memory foam off cut for you and get someone to run up a cover. (Maybe with a waterproof lining to stop the foam smelling)

Failing that I have a Danish design one. The do flat ones they call mattresses, but I'd recommend the one they refer to as Duvets. I have a waterproof one for the car and have been known to drag it out for ME to lie/sit on in the garden.

CMOTDibbler Sun 21-Aug-16 13:58:03

I got a giant memory foam bed (my lurchers like to spread out!) with washable covers from a seller on ebay. They were very reasonable and have lasted well

chough Sun 21-Aug-16 19:22:33

Rebecca, the Orvis beds are expensive, but last for years.
Our rescue collie had three other (cheaper) beds previously, which didn't last.
Sometimes can be a case of "buy cheap, buy twice".

WeAllHaveWings Sun 21-Aug-16 19:50:19

Wolfybeds look great online and are reasonable priced, but are really bad. Ours lasted 10 months and it was a lumpy horrible mess with just our Labrador padding it (doesn't chew).

We got one of the cheaper, plain Orvis memory foam beds and it didn't look like much when it arrived, but ddog loves it and its around year old and still like new (£185 irc in a sale) and I expect will last a good few years. If you do go for one avoid the slate colour which we got as it shows up all the dried up drool so we now use washable Bronte Glen vet bed on top.

I'm trying to convince dh to get a Orvis wrap around or house shoe bed (£249) for another room but he's not keen on the prices.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 22-Aug-16 13:43:51

Thanks so much - I've gone one for the Barbour one as it's quite a generous size.

Much appreciated!

cocopops88 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:24:34

My deerhound has a cot bed mattress, with a waterproof cover on, and I just change the sheet weekly!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 23-Aug-16 07:59:32

A single duvet will work as a good back up plan too. It's what our 1st Saint had. I cut an old cover in half re stitched it & made a new opening (so I had 2 covers) then folded the duvet up in it. Because it was a microfiber one if it did get damp or when it needed a wash it dried incredibly quickly both on the line & in tumble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now