Are you supposed to brush a dogs teeth?

(9 Posts)
TheGiantSausage Tue 16-Aug-16 21:24:58

I realise that is very likely a stupid question but I just saw the thread about the bulldog having his teeth removed and it made me think.
I give my dog a dentastick that I think helps their teeth but should I be actually brushing them? And if so, how often? Twice a day?
blush
TIA

AppleJac Tue 16-Aug-16 21:27:05

I think you are suppose to but i bet hardly anyone does

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 16-Aug-16 21:29:56

I never brush Boo's and the vet remarked that she had wonderful teeth. Can't see how Dentastix would have any affect on mine cos they are wolfed down so quickly. We do give our dogs bones so they do a lot of gnawing, don't know if that helps.

Genvonklinkerhoffen Tue 16-Aug-16 21:31:14

Dentistix are pretty soft and very calorific.

ReallyShouldKnowBetterAtMyAge Tue 16-Aug-16 21:34:45

No, but I do give her raw bones, knuckles and chicken carcuss to chew on which helps clean her teeth.

MarcoPoloCX Wed 17-Aug-16 10:29:03

Some people use teeth cleaning gel. No brushing required, just apply on teeth and no water for half an hour afterwards.

BeBopTalulah Wed 17-Aug-16 11:07:15

I have two dogs, both 8 years old. One has perfect teeth because he's a chewer, constantly. Bits of wood, toys etc. The other had terrible teeth and I took him to the vet. Although she said they weren't that bad (I was just comparing them to my other dog), his breath was like death and he had visible plaque and gum disease. We now brush, couple of times a week with turkey toothpaste from the vet and we also have a lot more chewable foods like pigs ears. His teeth have vastly improved.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-Aug-16 11:08:42

My lab aged 9 has perfect teeth apparently. Never cleaned them. He has a dentastik a day.

Deadnettle Wed 17-Aug-16 11:22:29

Our last two dogs, border collies, never had their teeth brushed as they didn't need it.

We now have a miniature poodle and we brush her teeth once a day every day with logic toothpaste as her teeth are awful otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now