Light at the end of the tunnel

(10 Posts)
HenDogismylife Mon 15-Aug-16 19:43:06

I'm sure no one will care but I just really wanted to share. Some of you might be slightly familiar with my (and Henry's) story, but to put it simply he became fear aggressive and reactive to both humans and dogs when he was approx 1. Since then I have seen vets/ behavioural therapists and tried my hardest to overcome his issues. Nothing was helping and he ended up being walked on a muzzle and avoiding everyone. Obviously I hated this and when my mum got a puppy I spoke to her trainer. Two one to one sessions later ( a huge gap in between for us to work alone) and we have just returned from a session where we walked side by side with another dog with zero reaction. I am so so proud of him. We have worked so hard and he looks so pleased with himself. I never thought I would see this day 😍

chough Mon 15-Aug-16 19:48:34

HenDog, please don't think that no one will care!
You've worked hard and been patient with your dog, and just needed the right advice.
You have every reason to be proud, and it's lovely to hear how happy you and your dog are.

Givememorewine Mon 15-Aug-16 19:49:58

Well done Hendog (and you!) smile

grannygoat Mon 15-Aug-16 19:54:48

Well done! Must feel such a triumph having put in all that hard work, and knowing that you have improved dog's chance of a happy life as a result of it.

ScrumpyBetty Mon 15-Aug-16 21:50:21

Fab! It is a big achievement and us doggy people do understand and do care smile

MaynJune Mon 15-Aug-16 23:20:10

That's great, for your dog and for you. It must have been so hard for you.
Did this new trainer have different ideas to offer?

pigsDOfly Mon 15-Aug-16 23:49:01

Well done both of you. It always feels great when training makes a leap forward after a lot of hard work and this is a huge leap forward.

Great bonding experience for you both as well I imagine.

HenDogismylife Tue 16-Aug-16 09:11:54

Such a good feeling 😊 He even went in for a little sniff at the end. When we were working with the trainer the first time we figured out what his safe distance was and then used a clicker and high value treats to slowly bring that distance down. Everytime he looks at a trigger and then looks back at me I click and he gets rewarded. It has the added benefit that he doesn't get stuck and locked in to reacting. We spent most our session working with just her and then she fetched a toy dog to give him chance to learn in a safe way. Then I went away and worked with him for about two months until he was happy doing it for no food. Last night it was the same principle but this time with an actual dog and out on the streets. Here he is looking proud of himself...

punter Tue 16-Aug-16 09:26:04

what a lovely dog. Well done to both of you

MaynJune Tue 16-Aug-16 10:01:53

He's really handsome. You've had to work really hard and I hope you continue to reap the rewards. What a partnership.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now