Talk

Advanced search

Are greyhounds particularly prone to ticks?

(8 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Mon 15-Aug-16 14:29:38

My boy's picked up about four in the last two months, which is a lot more than any other dog I've ever had. Is this normal for greys?

I really enjoy twisting them out with the tick twister and then smacking them with a shoe

CMOTDibbler Mon 15-Aug-16 14:43:32

I guess its as they have such fine and sparse coats underneath the ticks find it super easy to get attached. Mind you, my thin coated lurcher has never had any, even though I have a tick pick especially bought for him

AnUtterIdiot Mon 15-Aug-16 14:45:58

I wondered if it was the coat. I'm wondering if I should go back and get him treated again, although it's not long since he was.

Snafflebrain Mon 15-Aug-16 14:47:06

Is it because of their longer legs? I've only have short arse dogs and they tended not to go in long grass so much as they wouldn't be able to see I guess and they didn't get ticks. I presume a taller dog wouldn't have the same worries and just bound through the longer stuff where ticks are more likely to be?

ItsJustPaint Mon 15-Aug-16 14:47:34

if they spend a lot of time in bracken or long ferns then any dog will collect ticks.

I don't think 1 every 2 weeks is a lot though.

I use advantix which I know not everybody agrees with but I can't be doing with removing them.

HarlettOScara Mon 15-Aug-16 14:50:15

you must live in an area where ticks are more rife but I imagine the very fine/short coat makes them more easily picked out.

In 19 years of owning heavy, double coated breeds, I've only had to remove 2 ticks.

Fuckingmoles Mon 15-Aug-16 14:51:08

My vet recommends seresto flea and tick collars

WyldFyre Mon 15-Aug-16 14:52:05

My vet said they were expecting it to be worse this summer than previous years because of a mild winter.
Mine gets Bravecto to stop them attaching in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now