Any greyhound or lurcher owners? Advice about fencing needed.

(9 Posts)
jaspersmum568 Mon 15-Aug-16 11:56:13

We would love to adopt a retired greyhound (or a lurcher.) We have contacted Forever Hounds Trust and discussed our children, work, house, garden etc and now we are waiting for someone to come and do a home visit. But I'm worried they will look at our fencing and immediately say there is no way we can have a sighthound. Our garden backs onto fields which sometimes contain sheep or cows and at other times are empty. Currently there is 4 foot stock fencing (post and rail with wire covering). My husband says he can easily raise it to 5 ft and has costed the materials to do this. One rescue centre we spoke to said they wouldn't rehome a greyhound if the fencing wasn't screened off so the dog couldn't see through it. Another centre said 5ft would be fine depending on the dog. Something I just read said that sighthounds can "pop over" 6ft fences easily. Just looking for some opinions from people who own greyhounds. We have until recently had 2 border collies and the fencing was no problem. They were agility dogs and probably could have cleared the fence but never bothered. One occasionally had a bark at the sheep or cows if they were right by the fence but generally they weren't too interested. Photo shows fencing with my 2 yr old and her friend.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 15-Aug-16 14:27:59

Your fencing is too low as it is. My grey wouldn't bother jumping over either even though he's tall (lazy), but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him out there alone. I'd put it up to 6ft if you're putting it up; that's what our greyhound rescue said was necessary, and fortunately that's how high our walls are already, although there's no way he'd get enough of a run-up in our garden to leap a 6' wall.

CMOTDibbler Mon 15-Aug-16 14:29:34

Both of my lurchers probably could clear a 5 ft fence. One could never be bothered, and the other has done it once but never again. A friends lurcher can jump 5 ft in a vertical takeoff!

I'd say a lurcher from a rescue like EGLR who foster their dogs and so know very well how much of a jumper they are, how interested they are in stock etc would be a better bet than the relative unknown of a greyhound straight out of kennels

Fuckingmoles Mon 15-Aug-16 14:34:41

The rescue we got ddog1 from said we would need to confirm that fencing was 5'+ before they would even come and do a home check. However, Ddog1 is usually to be found lying on his side snoring and has shown no inclination to attempt to escape but I do know someone who had a greyhound leap over a fence so I guess it depends on the dog.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 15-Aug-16 14:40:05

The rescue I got my greyhound X from said that I needed 6-foot fences. Which I got.

As it turns out, she'd never get the run-up, or have the inclination. But if she did, she'd clear a 5-foot fence easily.

I also would not have a fence she could see livestock through, as it would drive her crazy wanting to chase it. (And the subsequent barking would drive everyone else crazy!)

Floralnomad Mon 15-Aug-16 14:53:21

Can you fence it with 6 ft panels , I have a terrier and he wouldn't be able to live with your current fencing and if he could see livestock he'd be constantly trying to get over / under / through any height fencing . I doubt I'd be able to relax and leave a dog alone with that arrangement.

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Mon 15-Aug-16 15:02:17

My lurcher can jump a 5ft fence from a standing start, no run up needed.
She can clear a 6ft fence with a two pace 'run up'.
I would not trust any dog with your fence with stock on the other side ESPECIALLY if the field sometimes has sheep in it.

Deadnettle Mon 15-Aug-16 15:25:01

My mum has a retired greyhound and her garden is not fenced at all (she lives on a hill and its too windy for the fences to stay up).

The greyhound is never allowed outside off lead. Not ever. The rescue knew this would be the case when they rehomed the dog at my mums.

I think that unless you do what my mum does you will need much higher fences.

mollie123 Tue 16-Aug-16 14:58:22

the problem with greys and lurchers is that SOME of them can easily clear a fence up to 6ft with the added incentive of what they can see the other siide.
Sadly my original efforts to adopt a rescue greyhound or lurcher came to naught as I lived in a very rural area (on the top of a hill) with a 4ft hedge (not see-thruable) which was about 2ft in depth and backed by pig netting..
To have put up a 6 ft fence would have destroyed my view which would have been massively unacceptable to me.
So I privately adopted dogs that needed a home - as it happened neither dog was prone to jump the hedge smile I did raise it with the rescues that in addition to a small children, cat friendly, only dog check they should check for 'jump ability' as it is sad that dogs are missing out on being adopted because of the 6ft rule (but I was told that was their rules so no chance sad)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now