Talk

Advanced search

My heart is breaking

(20 Posts)
PermaShattered Fri 12-Aug-16 22:50:03

I need support. My darling Cassie is a 17 wk old Golden Pup who has been fighting for her little life for more than 48 hrs now.

In brief, she had bad diarrhoea Tues. Wed am sick and diarrhoea- and incontinent. To vet and taken straight in to go on drip. Her temperature had dropped and veins collapsing so couldn't get drip in. Fluids given under skin.

Summoned to vets at 6pm. Told she was v ill, her tummy was v swollen only hope was xray and surgery. I was in shock - she was virtually unresponsive. Xray was obscured by fluids but showed intestines in wrong place. Immediate surgery to try to determine what is wrong. No ruptures, blockages, etc. but peritonitis and v angry purple intestines- and pancreas. Vet drained her and rinsed her - with antibiotics. Didnt expect her to survive the night. She did.

Yesterday there was marginal improvement. Survived last night. But needed to be opened up again lunchtime today as abdomen filling up again. Didnt expect her to survive surgery. She did. Intestines looking better but they just do not know what is causing this. Worse still - and critically- her bowels are not working. A snall muscle (?) has solidified from the infection preventing anything moving ftom tum to bowel....if her bowel doesnt start working again - only option is Euthanasia.

I've visited twice today. She focused on me today and lifted her head too - but in pain and she looks so sad and tired. Another night.... my heart is breaking.

Floralnomad Fri 12-Aug-16 23:02:28

Poor you and poor dog , we will keep our fingers and paws crossed for her . My mums Ragdoll cat had to have 2 major bowel resections at 16 weeks old in a 3 day period and we were told not to expect him to survive and he's 15 now so hopefully it will work out the same for your pup.

FeelingRidiculousBut Sat 13-Aug-16 00:28:34

So sorry.....thinking of you and your little pup. It's heartbreaking to read posts like that, but previous poster sounds encouraging. Don't lose hope flowers

dudsville Sat 13-Aug-16 07:08:21

How heart wrenching. Poor little pup.

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Sat 13-Aug-16 07:13:16

I'm thinking of you both flowers

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 07:22:21

Poor dog, hope she pulls through. She's so young.

picklesanne Sat 13-Aug-16 11:53:15

Thinking of you. Xx

Floralnomad Sat 13-Aug-16 12:37:32

Any news today OP ?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 13-Aug-16 14:12:39

Really hoping your puppy pulls through

NicInBetween Sat 13-Aug-16 14:52:15

I'm the OP, just different user name. She survived the night. Again. Nurse took her for a v short walk first thing but had to be carried back. I have just come back from seeing her and she is so thin and frail. Has lost so much weight. She hasn't vomited since last night but no change other than that. We will give it til Monday to see if any change - then it's the inevitable.

Hoppinggreen Sat 13-Aug-16 14:56:43

I'm so sorry OP, we have a Goldie too.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you x

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 13-Aug-16 14:58:02

So what do they think caused it?

Poor little girl.

flowers

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 15:03:11

She'll put on weight if she pulls thorough.
Poor little thing.

Bubble2bubble Sat 13-Aug-16 15:42:48

This is so sad.
All paws crossed here for your little pup.

NicInBetween Mon 15-Aug-16 13:53:39

She's still hanging on. Her bowels have started moving but she won't eat, though she has been lapping a little water. Any vets on here with any insights?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 15-Aug-16 14:11:36

Sorry not a vet.

Is she at home?

Floralnomad Mon 15-Aug-16 14:33:26

Is she still on intravenous fluids ?

NicInBetween Mon 15-Aug-16 14:55:44

She's still at the vet (since Wed afternoon sad ). Yes, still on intravenous. Vets had to open her up twice and she has a drain in her abdomen. I'm going to see her in an hour. They don't know what has caused it, but i'm hoping there may be some test results back today....

Even if she physically recovers, i'm worried about depression... and mental recovery from this. She was in a huge amount of pain.

Floralnomad Mon 15-Aug-16 15:03:54

I'm sure she will be fine mentally , she will soon forget being in pain - dogs live in the moment they don't tend to dwell on things . It's very positive that things are moving .

NicInBetween Tue 16-Aug-16 16:50:50

I've started a new thread on this if you're interested as there are developments (good and bad): www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/2709409-Golden-Retriever-pup-what-would-you-do-V-ill?watched=1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now