Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for helping older dog on wooden floor?

(6 Posts)
Ineedsomesleepzzzz Fri 12-Aug-16 22:41:21

My lovely lab is almost 12 & although he's in pretty good shape, the signs of ageing are definitely appearing. Apart from a rug in the living room, our downstairs is made up of wooden flooring & tiles - not great for an older dog. At the moment he manages ok most of the time but sometimes he struggles & I'm sure this will become more frequent as he gets older. I was thinking of getting some cheap off cuts of carpet to roll out when dcs are at school but wondered if anyone had any other good tricks they've used? Thanks.

MaynJune Fri 12-Aug-16 23:08:57

No good tricks, I just used rugs and an old carpet runner to make a walkway so that my older girl didn't need to walk on the wood.
And a couple of non-slip mats on the kitchen tiles.

Scuttlebutter Fri 12-Aug-16 23:57:41

Our gang of oldies like having plenty of vetbed mats around. It doesn't slip, and I got the wool mix Senior vet bed which is lovely and thick and warm, though washes brilliantly. Our wooden floor is a pale gold colour so I got the Wheat mats and they look absolutely fine (and are lovely to wriggle bare toes in!)

TrionicLettuce Sat 13-Aug-16 00:33:06

Another vote for the rubber backed vetbed, it's great stuff.

It can also help keeping the hair between their pads trimmed nice and short, even on short haired dogs. His claws being kept short will also help, they should be short enough to be clear of the ground when he's standing square on a hard surface.

Ineedsomesleepzzzz Sat 13-Aug-16 08:30:43

Thanks all for the great tips.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 08:33:35

Can you also check if the dog is comfortable getting to their water bowl?

I had to move mine , well not mine but the dog's, so it was easier to reach?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now