We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Walking a neighbour's dog

(15 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 09-Aug-16 23:44:05

I'd like to improve my fitness gradually and was thinking of going for a walk every night at the field/ rec ground across the road.

Dog owners, would it be crazy to ask my neighbours if they'd let me walk their dog some evenings?

I haven't walked a dog since I was a child and I'm wondering if I've overlooked any factors other than them saying no, which is of course completely fine grin
They have a young family (incl. young twins) and I haven't noticed the dog being walked, not to say they don't walk him.

The dog is a labrador/ cross, I'd hazard a guess at middle-aged.

I have no idea of his temperament (e.g. around other dogs). Is it acceptable to walk him on a lead? I'd feel nervous of him running off otherwise. What's the etiquette if another dog comes over for a sniff and upsets him blush

Sorry for all the hypothetical questions grin

Jubaloo442 Tue 09-Aug-16 23:46:46

Can you come and walk MY dogs?!

WhingySquirrel Tue 09-Aug-16 23:51:42

What Jug said! smile

I guess find out about the dog's temperament, whether it has good recall, does it pull on the lead etc etc but otherwise I would say go for it! I think many people would welcome someone walking their dog.

CharminglyGawky Wed 10-Aug-16 00:03:49

Personally I'd say no... Because I have trust issues when it comes to looking after my dog!

But I wouldn't be upset by the offer/request and would be fully aware that I'm the odd one. I would also maybe suggest if timings worked out walking the dog together, I love company on walks.

If they say yes though I would say on lead walks would be sensible, soooo much less to go wrong there! And as these would be bonus walks for the dog a lack of sprinting round the fields like a crazy thing shouldn't matter.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 10-Aug-16 00:45:59

Thanks everyone!

I'm away a bit this month but you've given me the confidence to ask when I get back smile

I wouldn't be at all offended if they say no but who knows, it could be win-win grin

My cat will no doubt make his displeasure known wink

DramaAlpaca Wed 10-Aug-16 00:49:45

I'd be delighted if you offered to walk mine.

They never say no to a walk.

TrionicLettuce Wed 10-Aug-16 01:21:35

If your neighbours say no then have a look on the Cinnamon Trust website and see if they are in need of volunteers in your area.

It's also worth looking to see if there are any rescues local to you that could use your help with walking the dogs.

hollinhurst84 Wed 10-Aug-16 01:37:22

Our local rescue is crying out for more dog walkers. You can pick your days, and walk with someone or they do group walks/meet ups. You can even take a dog home for the day to give it respite from kennels
One of the most rewarding things I've done (and posting photos on Facebook meant I rehomed two of them to friends!)

QuietTiger Wed 10-Aug-16 18:00:15

I'd be over the moon if you offered to walk my dogs. I have a full on toddler, a very hectic life and the dogs walk often drops down the list of "things that need to be done".

In my defence, the dogs are running around in the yard a good proportion of the day and DH works 2 of them, but they do need "down" time.

Where are you and can you walk my dogs?! grin

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 12-Aug-16 21:15:16

Thanks all! I'm in Herts smile

No rescue in my town alas and I'd prefer not to travel too far really grin

I've fostered a cat before and would so again. I now have one of my own so not sure how he'd feel wink He may ultimately adapt better to a kitten foster that I can separate.

Funnily enough I signed up to Cinnamon Trust a few years ago and didn't really get any matches. Also tried Borrow My Doggy but there was no-one particularly local and they all wanted irregular unpaid holiday cover. I'd prefer an ongoing casual walking arrangement. May try again if neighbour doesn't want to for whatever reason smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 12-Aug-16 21:26:01

I'm also a bit of a weirdo as I really love the larger breeds, no idea why!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 12-Aug-16 21:27:51

Shame you're not near me.

Jubaloo442 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:32:38

Haveyou not sure where in Herts you are but there is a greyhound rescue centre that are very welcoming of visitors to walk their dogs. Msg me if you would like details. The centre isn't Herts, it's Waltham Abbey, but maybe it's do-able for you?

ChairRider4 Sat 13-Aug-16 18:51:39

Not sure where in Herts but I'm there too

There is at least one place I can think of if you are east Herts

musicposy Sat 13-Aug-16 22:05:06

Ooh, I'd love someone to offer with mine! I have four - one is old and needs just a sniff around, one needs bags of exercise, the other two are in between. It's hard to get it right for all of them without doing lots of separate walking, so anyone who offers to walk one of mine is a godsend.

I know which dog to agree to anyone having, based on their experience with dogs/ mobility etc. So I'm sure a neighbour would only say yes if they felt their dog was manageable for you.

Our neighbour is always saying how cute madam-needs-a-ton-of-exercise is; I'm thinking I should start dropping hints!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now