Talk

Advanced search

Tick bite

(11 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sat 06-Aug-16 20:36:59

Bleugh! Just found a massive fat tick on the kitchen floor. I didn't notice it on the dog but assuming that's where it's come from - she's pretty hairy so very easy to miss the vile little things angry

Do I need to do anything? We're in East Yorkshire, which I don't think is a Lyme Disease hotspot but I'm still feeling a bit concerned. I'm going to give her a good brush when all the kids are in bed and hopefully won't find any more.

stonecircle Sun 07-Aug-16 03:35:15

You'd be better off feeling her skin first - if you brush you might break any ticks off and leave the head in which can cause an infection. Pay particular attention to armpits, groin and ears.

We keep a tick hook handy in case any of ours pick one up - your vet can let you have one. Just slide it under the tick and turn anti-clockwise.

You can get flea protection from the vet which also protects against ticks (can't remember if it's advantage or advocate). We don't use it however as it's more important to project against lungworm and there isn't one treatment that protects against everything.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sun 07-Aug-16 09:14:27

I found the site of the bite and didn't come across any more of the little fuckers. I use Advantix and Milbenax monthly as this protects against both ticks and lungworm. This is the first tick we've had this year - she's due a repeat dose of her infestation treatments (last one was at the beginning of July).

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sun 07-Aug-16 09:16:10

*MilbeMax

(If used monthly this protects against lungworm.)

stonecircle Sun 07-Aug-16 10:18:52

That's interesting- I'll ask our vet if we can do the same. I loathe ticks (who doesn't!) but vet has always insisted we can't protect against lungworm and ticks. A friend in a high tick area once looked after our dogs while we were on holiday and vet's suggestion was that we switch to the tick protection for one month.

georgedawes Sun 07-Aug-16 11:01:02

Bravecto protects against fleas and ticks.

stonecircle Sun 07-Aug-16 11:52:10

George - lots of things protect against fleas and ticks. Or fleas and lungworm. The difficulty is - or so I thought - treating a dog for all 3 at the same time.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sun 07-Aug-16 12:24:48

You have to give the tablets every month rather than every three months so it works out more expensive. I think they recommend monthly treatments if you have small children anyway so I'm happy to do that.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 07-Aug-16 12:42:11

There are lots of combinations that protect against fleas, ticks and lungworm. I find that in main tick season you have to religiously every 4 weeks with Advantix (more often if they swim) monthly is not quite often enough, I suspect you are just over your 4 weeks period hence the issue.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 07-Aug-16 12:44:03

Stone circle I suspect your practice are tied in with Bayer so it is Advantix or Advocate. Milbemax combined with a whole range of flea products including Seresto collar, Activyl, Bravecto and practic does not duplicate the flea treatment.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sun 07-Aug-16 13:01:35

Do I need to worry about Lyme Disease at all Lonecat? I've done her infestation treatment this morning and will make a note in my diary to do it again in exactly four weeks' time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now