Talk

Advanced search

Two things- bird seed? And has your dogs collar ever unclipped itself?

(5 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 05-Aug-16 15:56:18

First thing - We have a bird feeder in the garden, one of those that you can hang several different feeders from. Big dog has discovered that the seeds and the fat ball remnants that the birds drop on the ground, are a delightful snack. He can often be found standing underneath the feeder hoovering the ground. Is it ok for him to do this? Are the seeds harmful to him in any way?

Second thing- The other night I suddenly noticed little dog wasn't wearing her collar, I knew I hadn't taken it off, asked DH, BIL and DD if any of them had removed it and they hadn't so I went looking for it. Found it unclipped, in the middle of the lawn in the garden! It's a Rogz collar, so not a cheap thing with a crappy clip. The clip is fine, not broken anywhere, still good and strong when clipped. So how did it come off? I did immediately think of 5yo DD, but she isn't strong enough to undo the clip, plus she has trouble with these type of clips anyway. Everyone else including DD was just as baffled as I was when I found it in the garden!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 05-Aug-16 16:14:19

My dog guzzles bird seed given the chance. Hasn't done her any harm. Watch out for seedy poos.

No. When we had two dogs they could unclip each other's collars but now we're down to one dog she's never done her own.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 05-Aug-16 17:54:41

Eating balls can lead to pancreatitis I have seen a couple of dogs with this.
Collars unless they are a buckle type can come undone relatively easily as they are designed to be quick release of the dog gets caught up.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 05-Aug-16 21:07:15

When I say fat ball remnants I don't mean big chunks, it's generally just a few dropped seeds coated in the fatty stuff. Is that better than actual chunks?

Bubble2bubble Sat 06-Aug-16 08:01:07

Fat balls are not good but seem to be very attractive to dogs. My dogs will hang around under the bird feeder to hoover up any seeds they can find and will gaze longingly at the fat balls I hang in the trees.

Clip collars are better precisely because another dog can undo it with rough play, which is preferable to getting tangled and potentially choked with a buckle collar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now