Talk

Advanced search

is this Dog's first season- symptoms?

(6 Posts)
cloughie100 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:48:10

Our dog is about 10 months and i am pretty sure is coming into season - is Diarrhoea one of the symptoms/side affects of being on heat? She has had really dodgy poos for last week or so and has been messing kitchen in the night although has been house trained for months

AnUtterIdiot Mon 08-Aug-16 08:17:00

I don't remember any of our bitches having diarrhoea or messing in the house in the run up to the season. If I remember correctly they got a big doughnut shaped swellibg under their tale and started blobbing everywhere (sorry). If your dog's had diarrhoea for a week I'd take her to the vet, even if she is also now in season, or at least ring them for advice.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 08-Aug-16 08:17:26

*swelling
*tail

Sorry!

Pippin8 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:10:18

My girl is nearing the end of her first season & the week before it started she did have bad diarrhoea.
Then I noticed white mucus & the swelling started, very subtle mind. Then the bleeding, tiny spots, watery at first then thicker, poor thing she bled for 2 weeks & got quite swollen.

So now I'm guessing she's in the fertile period as she whines a lot, wanting to go out. It's not been easy for her, her mood changed completely, she was sad, clingy & lethargic every day. Luckily I was off work for a week. She's only just getting back to her normal self. I'm definitely booking her in for spaying in 3 months. Good luck.

Pippin8 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:12:10

Also I did take her to the vet as the diarrhoea lasted a while, they gave me some probiotic paste to give & she had an injection just in case. Maybe coincidence, but I just had a feeling.

2kids2dogsnosense Tue 30-Aug-16 21:22:06

Just picked this thread up. Our springer bitch has just finished her first season and she had terrible diarrhoea! It was like dysentery - just squirted out of her and was a bugger to clean up. After day 17, you'd think someone had turned a tap off. Poo is still soft but has form (IYKWIM) and is getting firmer by the day.

Never had this symptom with a bitch before. I didn't go to the vet because she was obviously well in every other respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now