Getting a dog for the kids?!

(48 Posts)
gracieben6 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:45:40

I am a mum of 6 gorgeous kids aging from 14 to 1 yo. My elder kids have been begging for a dog ever since our Guinea pigs died 3 years ago. I would happily have a dog because I think that growing up with a dog is fantastic. The thing is I know that me and dh will be the ones cleaning the lawn and looking after it. The kids have promised they would look after it and my 7 year old twins have even said they would train it!!grin anyone else have any advice on what we can do to ensure kids look after it!! Or just any stories you have about kids and dogssmile

nmg85 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:47:37

I would say don't get a dog unless you know that you and your DH have the time to look after it and train it etc. No guarantees that the kids will continue to look after it when its raining or they get bored.

NeedACleverNN Sat 30-Jul-16 10:49:04

Never get an animal unless you are prepared to look after it yourself when children inevitably get bored

NoahVale Sat 30-Jul-16 10:49:36

i did resist for ages, when my ds wanted a dog and made some remark about how he couldnt take it with him when he left home

but if you want a dog yourself and are prepared to toilet train and clear up the mess. you have to want one yourself though since puppies are a Lot of work

NoahVale Sat 30-Jul-16 10:50:27

they also tie you down, you have to think how long you will be out of the house if you fancy a day trip etc.,

VioletBam Sat 30-Jul-16 10:51:33

Are either you or DH experienced with dogs at all OP? They're far more work than you might think and everyone I know who gets one (me included) has a brief period of regret in the early days.

A sort of WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!??? Moment.

Puppies bite the crap out of everything from carpet to chair legs to your DDs shoes and your makeup.

Whatever they can get really.

They wee and poo unexpectedly and whine at night like babies.

You might be best off posting on TheDoghouse here on MN because they can advise properly as to which breeds are more suitable.

someonescj Sat 30-Jul-16 10:52:35

Only get a dog if you can look after it, the novelty will wear off and the children will become bored.

I have a dog and a 3year old DD, she loves the dog and they're really close, I love walking my dog and my working hours fit well around owning a dog, I wouldn't have got her based on the fact my DD was begging for a dog because this week she wants a unicorn.

gracieben6 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:54:47

I always grew up with dogs as a kid. I was thinking of getting a maybe 1 or 2 year old dog from a shelter so wouldn't have to puppy train

JenLindley Sat 30-Jul-16 10:55:44

my 7 year old twins have even said that they'll train it

Your 7 year olds have no idea what that means, nor do you if you think your 7 year olds can train a dog.

NoahVale Sat 30-Jul-16 10:58:02

hopefully the shelter will advise whether their rescue dogs available are suitable for children then.

NoahVale Sat 30-Jul-16 10:58:25

why dont you want to puppy train?

NoahVale Sat 30-Jul-16 10:58:51

i dont think your heart is in it enough op if you have to ask.

ColaSpangles Sat 30-Jul-16 10:59:04

We got a puppy last year. We loved him but I had many moments of Why the fuck did I do this! It's massive amount of work. He's a huge part of our lives and we adore him but I would not do it again!

ColaSpangles Sat 30-Jul-16 11:00:05

Love him not loved him- he's still hale and healthy! Oh and kids cba most the time once novelty has worn off.

ColaSpangles Sat 30-Jul-16 11:00:43

He's sitting here whining in protest that I'm on MN!

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 30-Jul-16 11:02:34

Dogs mean 2 walks a day rain or shine, no more day trips unless you can take the dog, never being out the house for more than 5 hours, chewed toys, holes in the lawn, vet bills, poo clearing up, noisy barking, mud and dirt.
They also offer a lot of love and my family and I would not be without ours but please don't get a dog "for the kids".

davos Sat 30-Jul-16 11:31:38

* I was thinking of getting a maybe 1 or 2 year old dog from a shelter so wouldn't have to puppy train*

That's not as easy as it sounds with young kids. Many shelters get very few dogs they would put in a family home with young kids.

Some don't home any dog with young kids.

Dogs aged 1-2 with no issues get snapped up. Do you have the time to spend with any dog, never mind a rescue?

JenLindley Sat 30-Jul-16 11:35:10

1-2 year olds are still adolescent in terms of dog development. You'd basically be adopting a teenager who has spent time in care. Not for the fainthearted.

VioletBam Sat 30-Jul-16 11:39:19

No shelter would consider us when we tried to get a dog. They often won't when you have children.

Slothlikesundays Sat 30-Jul-16 11:43:17

A dog is an amazing addition to any family. If the parents want a dog. Despite what your children say you have to decide if you want the commitment as in reality you will be doing the 6am run outs/cleaning up when it's been ill/walking in the wind and rain. It will be you organising your life together around the dog.
Love our family dog, But he's very restrictive, I never get a lie in etc. I don't mind as I love dogs, have always had dogs and am lost without the routine of one. Would I get one if I wasn't a morning out with the dog at 7am person, if the kids had promised to do it?! No way.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 30-Jul-16 11:53:19

dogs are not toys.

pigsDOfly Sat 30-Jul-16 14:00:22

There is nothing you can do to ensure your children look after a dog. Dog's are hard work and need constant ongoing training. It's not something children can do, unless you have an exceptionally animal centred child. So unless you're prepared to do all the work, getting a dog is not a good idea.

Highly unlikely any rescue would rehome a dog with such a young family anyway. But if you could find a rescue to let you have a 1 - 2 year old dog the chances are it would come with issues of some kind and bringing it into such a large family of young children could cause it so much stress that it's likely you're just going make it's life worse rather than better: it's not just about what your DC want it also about the welfare of the dog, as LEM says, dogs are not toys.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Hoppinggreen Sat 30-Jul-16 14:13:10

My DC are 7 and 11, the 11 year old especially loves animals.
We got a puppy in January after much deliberation and planning and at times even the 11 year old wanted to send him back.
I think that if I had had younger children I probably would have sent him back to the breeder. It's bloody hard work.
As for a rescue dog you will need to be extra careful about getting the right dog with such young DC and most rescues probably won't consider you.

insan1tyscartching Sat 30-Jul-16 14:19:49

My five dc all wanted a dog over the years but we didn't get one until the youngest was 11 and the other four were adults getting ready to fly the nest. Our reason being I had more than enough to do with five dc and I would be the one looking after it. When we got Eric supposedly for youngest dd's birthday it was in full and certain knowledge that the dog's care was ultimately mine and dh's responsibility.
Dd loves Eric,they all do, but dh and I walk him, feed him, groom him, play with him routinely, daily, anything dd or the older ones do is extra once his needs have been met by dh and I.
I'd say don't get a dog unless you are willing and able to meet its needs without needing the assistance of children who aren't responsible enough to give the dog the commitment it needs.I'd also say don't get a dog until your youngest is about five anyway as it doubles your workload of any preschooler.

miserablemoo Sat 30-Jul-16 14:50:07

Get a dog if you or your DH want one. My kids were all for it but the novelty does wear off pretty quick. I wanted the dog and I do pretty much everything. You can't expect 7 year olds to train a dog (I have a 7 yr old). If my two children wasn't school age I don't think I would of coped to be honest! Even in the holidays walks can be tricky as DH is at work and even if it's raining they still have to come with me and walk him.

If I hadn't of wanted him i probably would of ended up resenting him to be honest as he is hard work and we have had some issues to work on. But I made the commitment not DH or the kids. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now