Talk

Advanced search

Why would a dog bark almost continuously all day?

(9 Posts)
bigTillyMint Fri 29-Jul-16 11:01:44

We have new tenants next door - a group of young (look like graduates in their first jobs?) people next door who have a dog. My DD who has been finished school since they moved in says it barks/yowls nearly all day, every weekday. I have heard it, but I am in and out.

This morning it has been barking/yowling continuously from when they left for work (I guess), around 8.30am.

I am concerned that the dog must be distressed to bark like that - surely most dogs don't bark all day while their owners are out?

pleasemothermay1 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:03:51

Because they are not being walked or left all day in the garden or the house

Sadly I have this issue my neighbours are now up to seven dogs and I was told by the rspca can't do anything until they are up to 10

Wyldfyre Fri 29-Jul-16 11:06:20

It's not necessarily because it's not being walked - it could be separation anxiety.
I would talk to them - they may not know the dog does it - and maybe suggest something like an Adaptil plug in

pleasemothermay1 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:06:29

And tbh a lot of dogs who are kept in all day do bark it's just that most others are also at work so don't notice

Personally I think it's cruel

MissBattleaxe Fri 29-Jul-16 11:07:00

At the rescue home near me, they won't home dogs to people who are out all day. Poor doggie's probably lonely and bored.

PlayingGrownUp Fri 29-Jul-16 11:15:15

Could be because the dog is in a new environment. My dog barked a lot more than usual after we moved house because he wasn't used to it. He's now a permanent fixture in our sitting room window watching everyone

bigTillyMint Fri 29-Jul-16 11:17:40

Yes, I think it is really cruel. Dogs love human company, and even if a walker comes during the day (not sure anyone does) that only lasts a short time.

I think we will knock and talk to them tonight - I think they are aware because the neighbours on the other side work from home and have alerted the home owners (who we are all good friends with) and they have told the tenants already confused

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Fri 29-Jul-16 11:21:01

Boredom.
If this carries on you can call the RSPCA but unless the dog is being neglected there's not much else they can do.
You can call your local council if the noise if disturbing you and they can work with the tenants to stop this happening.
However if they're out all day they may not even be aware their dog does this. If you can, suggest popping around for a nice, friendly chat in first instance

bigTillyMint Fri 29-Jul-16 11:28:08

Yes, I agree - we will pop in tonight, hopefully.

Usually we will all be out during the week, but as it's the hols we are at home and I am really upset for the dog - now barking continuously for 3 hours - obviously moving around from room to room sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now