Talk

Advanced search

Retired parents rehoming dog or buying puppy, advice needed!

(12 Posts)
itchychin Wed 27-Jul-16 21:25:52

Hi there,

I've read that some dog charities won't rehome to people over 70, is that right?

My parents have always had dogs and have recently had to PTS their golden retriever. Their whole lives revolved around the dog and they need a replacement.

I think I've managed to convince them to go for a smaller breed, but in an ideal world I think they should rehome (if that is even possible) as I think a puppy will be too much for them.

They are around all day and would take a dog out for a walk twice a day.

Another consideration is my DD is 8 years old and visits so they'll need a dog that is suitable for her to be around too.

They are now thinking of a Cocker Spaniel. Any thoughts gratefully received...!!

Wolfiefan Wed 27-Jul-16 21:28:04

Would they considering contacting the Cinnamon Trust? They are a charity specifically set up to help older people etc. Unfortunately this means sometimes the owners of a dog dies and the animal needs rehoming.

Dragongirl10 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:28:44

A spaniel sounds good, easy to train, friendly and a good companion. Also a larador although big is not to onerous on exercise, and calm and friendly.

I agree a rescue dog would be a good option try Dogs Trust...

SkydivingFerret Wed 27-Jul-16 21:41:09

Puppies are a pain in the arse and bloody hard work. I'd go for a sensible older dog

plominoagain Wed 27-Jul-16 21:56:19

What about a greyhound ? Very popular with a lot of retired people round ever , as they don't necessarily need lots of exercise . Plus all the ones I've met or owned have been very good natured and relatively low maintenance ish .

CMOTDibbler Wed 27-Jul-16 21:56:23

Would they consider a dog via the Oldies Club? An older dog is steadier, their behaviour is better known, and realistically is going to have a lifespan that fits into them still being healthy.

Wolfiefan Wed 27-Jul-16 21:58:02

Greyhound is a great idea! Short burst then flop on the sofa. Better that than a Labrador that needs lots of exercise and maybe tows you down the road! Oldies club is also a great suggestion.

itchychin Wed 27-Jul-16 22:09:47

Thanks for the replies!

I think they find saying goodbye to a pet so traumatic I don't think I could convince them re an old dog (as much as it makes sense to me). Certainly a young adult I think I could get their buy in though.

I read some places won't rehome to those over 70 though... I can understand why but don't know if that's true? Does anyone know?

I'll suggest they think about a greyhound. They like 'big' dogs but I don't think that's so manageable!

plominoagain Wed 27-Jul-16 22:17:59

I know our local rgt rehomes to older couples - our local one had their summer show this weekend , and the average owner was about 65 ! Plus my neighbours dad adopted one last year and he's almost 80 .

itchychin Wed 27-Jul-16 22:25:42

Thank you, I have tried to sow the seed with my folks re RGT x

Scuttlebutter Wed 27-Jul-16 23:25:34

I met up with a friend last week who is in his early 70s. He's superfit, and cycles around 14,000 miles a year. Far fitter than me at 51, and would be a great home for a dog. My ILs and their friends are all in their early to mid 70s and seem to spend their time doing rambles with U3A, climbing mountains and generally being healthy/energetic/outdoors.
Most sensible smaller rescues will take it on a dog by dog basis, and look at the circumstances of the individual adopter. They will want to see that the person or couple have a plan in place for when they are not able to walk the dog e.g. use a dog walker, that they are financially able to manage vet's bills etc and they have reliable transport to get to vet appointments etc. (or have the ability to arrange this). Many bodies working with older people now recognise the enormous benefits brought by dog ownership, as well as encouraging fitness and mobility, they are superb at facilitating social interactions and preventing isolation and loneliness.

A sighthound could be a superb match for them, and one of the benefits of a larger dog like a greyhound is that they are actually very difficult to trip over - smaller dogs are much more likely to be under your feet. Most greyhounds also have superb temperaments, gentle and loving. I know lots who are PAT dogs.

Many greyhound/sighthound rescues have regular meet and greets or walks where you can come along and meet a few hounds, ask some questions without any pressure, and get to know them. Most people fall in love with them. smile

Hope your parents are successful in their search.

Whitney168 Thu 28-Jul-16 08:46:58

Also a larador although big is not to onerous on exercise, and calm and friendly.

Good grief, have you met many Labradors? Very trainable, for sure, but not many young Labs are calm, and they certainly need a good amount of exercise (particularly for those who don't know what they're buying and go for a working line).

Puppies are hard work, OP, plus of course your parents need to be thinking ahead to when they might not be quite so fit. Perhaps a 3-4 year old dog might be a good idea, not a puppy but not elderly. If they are fit and well - and perhaps have a back-up plan, would you take the dog if they were ill/became unable to cope? - and want a specific breed, they could approach the breed rescue, all have them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now