Talk

Advanced search

Allergy to dog

(16 Posts)
Chopstick17 Mon 25-Jul-16 11:39:44

I need some advice. We rescued a dog only 1 month ago. She is a lovely crossbreed of unknown pedigree(was a stray) Anyway she has been really good so far, settling in more and more each day with very few issues. But, my eldest DS seems to be allergic. He has never shown any symptoms around dogs before. He used to get a rash around cats but don't spend time near cats anymore. I can't bear the thought of my child having to take antihistamine every day but feel awful about the dog especially as it was my other DCs dream to get one. So, does anyone know if dog allergies(if it is that but seems to be) calm down or clear up completely? Help!

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Mon 25-Jul-16 11:43:15

I have two dogs and I have an allergy to them and am also asthmatic. I take an antihistamine everyday. I vacumn twice daily. I have had no effects from the dogs at all. Try the antihistamine and see how things go.

Chopstick17 Mon 25-Jul-16 11:54:06

I suppose if it were me it would be different but I'm a bit loathe to make my child take daily medication. He is taking it now but long term it worries me.

insan1tyscartching Mon 25-Jul-16 12:02:50

Dd has an allergy to dogs, we have Eric who is a no shedding dog. For the first six weeks dd needed an antihistamine but since then she hasn't needed to take one so has become tolerant of Eric. She is still very allergic to my friend's dog so it hasn't got rid of the allergy just she has become insensitive to Eric's allergens.

Chopstick17 Mon 25-Jul-16 12:12:49

Oh that sounds promising. Our dog hardly sheds too. Hope DS becomes tolerant.

EvaWild Mon 25-Jul-16 12:41:26

Sometimes the problem will disappear, sometimes it will not. That is what the sad reality is. Not a fan of pills here, so I would suggest your just monitor your child's condition and see how it develops with the dog.

1frenchfoodie Mon 25-Jul-16 13:18:00

I've a dog allergy (cats much worse though) that brings on asthma and has required antihistamines. I have become used to dogs I live with though - breeds including schnauzer, labrador and spaniel cross. Took a few months each time though

davos Mon 25-Jul-16 14:38:01

Dh is allergic to cats and dogs. Our new puppy has been with us for a week. I make sure she gets a quick brush every morning. And Hoover ever room she goes in, everyday.

She isn't allowed in our bedroom at all. So far dh hasn't reacted.

We did the same with our last dog, also a cocker and dh was fine.

Chopstick17 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:01:47

Yes we don't allow the dog upstairs, she hasn't attempted it yet and when she does she will be sent back down. We have mainly hard floors and when she is in our carpeted living room we encourage her to use he cushion.I brush her most days outside but obviously easy at the mo with the weather. I am feeling more positive that it is at least possible that DS allergy will dampen. Thanks

nearlyreadytopop Tue 26-Jul-16 10:49:07

Does it effect his breathing?
DS developed an allergy to our dogs (schnauzers) around the age of 2. He would come out in hives if licked but he would also wheeze. His allergy doc said the hives are not that important and can be avoided but it was more serious that his breathing was effected. We ended up rehoming them sad

Chopstick17 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:44:57

nearly that is my fear. He has mils intermittent asthma meaning that ventolin inhalers never run out. I think he's grown out of it and then something like a cat can make him feel tight chested if he's in a room with one for a while.Mainly with the dog it's itching eyes, nose and sneezing but controlled with antihistamine.

Chopstick17 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:46:23

If it did get worse or continue I would be in the awful position of making one child happy and one sad whichever option we choose! I suppose that's being a parent.

DailyMailPenisPieces Tue 26-Jul-16 12:00:47

Try and avoid the dog's saliva. How tricky for you sad

nearlyreadytopop Tue 26-Jul-16 13:53:09

It's very hard. We were being seen for a food allergy when I brought up about the dogs. The hospital tested and he had a large reaction to skin prick test to dog, horse and cat. Since then he has outgrown the cat allergy. The dogs were clipped and washed regularly and it continued to happen. The breaking point was after being away on holiday and we had no asthma problems all week. Into the house and the dogs over and he started to wheeze. It was a very hard choice to make. We were all heartbroken. DS gets tested every year and we live in hope that he will outgrow the allergies.

Chopstick17 Mon 17-Oct-16 14:48:45

A quick update. DS now has no more allergy symptoms from our dog. We came back from holiday and he hadn't started taking the antihistamine again and there was no reaction!! Really happy. Funny thing is, he still gets symptoms from his friend's dog. So I guess he has built up a tolerance to our own dog.

FluffyPineapple Wed 19-Oct-16 02:28:23

Did your dog go on holiday with you OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now