Talk

Advanced search

dogsitting and worried - any advice?

(18 Posts)
butterandcrumpets Mon 18-Jul-16 19:33:25

I am looking after my sister's dog for a few days as she is away. It's a beatiful chocolate lab retriever, I have her regularly and we get on very well, she knows me. Took her out for a nice walk today and she disappeared into the woods, which she has never done before. She's usually quite good with staying close. Emerged 30 minutes later in a completely different part of the park (in fact I was walking around calling her name, looked back and there she was following me). Nothing visibly wrong with her. We are now back home and she is sprawled out on the floor half asleep. No real interest in food and drink although she did have one of her snacks. She responds to her name and does her usual bark when hearing a car go by/soone approaching the house.

Is she just tired? I have convinced myself that something must be wrong with her. She is not as sparkly as usual and does not follow me around as much. I might hopefully just be overreacting? It's been a very hot day too. It's worrying me that she is not drinking.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 18-Jul-16 19:39:13

It could be that she is too hot. Can you encourage her to drink or get water into her with a syringe?

cuntspud Mon 18-Jul-16 19:40:11

I would just keep an eye on her. It's been very hot today and her little adventure has probably worn her out!
My spaniel is even laying down this evening instead of his usual evening zoomiesshock
I always worry about our dog not drinking enough too, I find a fail safe way to get him to drink is to water the plants with a hose, he chases me round lapping it up, despite refusing his water bowl!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 18-Jul-16 19:42:47

She's probably just hot? My labs are barely moving, and puffing and panting unusually.

She may have been looking for water to drink or swim in when she disappeared.

Could you walk her early tomorrow, before it gets really hot?

DreamingofItaly Mon 18-Jul-16 19:44:42

You might want to put down some really cold fresh water for her. Mine often ignore their water until it's fresh and proper cold. Which, in this weather, means I'm filling it every hour or so!

Otherwise, the hose is another fail safe, mine lap that up too. It's going to be really hot tomorrow as well so don't be afraid to douse her under the hose to cool her off too.

butterandcrumpets Mon 18-Jul-16 19:47:33

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on her. Funny you should say about the water bowl. I accidently splashed some water on the floor earlier and she lapped that up. Might have another 'accident' and see whether I can get some more into her. It's just so unlike her confused but she might have covered quite a bit of ground during those 30 mins.

If she is still like this tomorrow, would you have her checked out or would that be OTT?

butterandcrumpets Mon 18-Jul-16 19:51:37

Thank you again. No hose I am afraid; only have small garden and use a watering can. Might have a try with that though.

cuntspud Mon 18-Jul-16 20:01:38

Watering can works the same as the hose for mine!

cuntspud Mon 18-Jul-16 20:06:28

I think I wouldn't get her checked out unless very lethargic.
If shes managing a bark at the cars, getting up for a treat, drinking some water and weeing/pooing etc I would say she's ok.
Obviously I'm not an expert but that is how I would judge it on my dog.

butterandcrumpets Mon 18-Jul-16 21:01:16

Thank you. She is perking up a bit. Had her usual amount of food and some water. More active now too. I think I might have worried over nothing blush

user1468863258 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:05:00

One trick i do to cool down my french bulldog is give her ice cubes. She loves chewing little ice cubes even when refuses drinking water.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 19-Jul-16 12:56:46

I gave my boy ice cubes when he was ill in hot weather, he doesn't drink much at the best of times and it was the only way I could get it into him

skatesection Tue 19-Jul-16 12:58:00

I give my dog ice cubes or bits of melon when she gets like that.

Hoppinggreen Tue 19-Jul-16 14:43:32

Bowl of ice cubes might work.
Also fill a large container with water and tell her NOT to get in it, she will probably be sitting in it in no time!

PovertyPain Tue 19-Jul-16 15:07:38

Are you sure you brought the same dog home? grin

Sorry. blush

Labs love a good run, but they also love spending most of their day sleeping. I wouldn't worry about it, he was probably having great fun, sniffing out disgusting things and is now exhausted, because of the heat.

PovertyPain Tue 19-Jul-16 15:13:52

If she has a kong, fill it with natural yoghurt and freeze it, or use an ice cube tray. You can pull strawberries/apple pieces in the yogurt, or mix some peanut butter with it. If using apples, don't cut close to the seeds are the seeds are toxic to dogs. If you can't get her into a pool, pour some cold water onto the ground and encourage her to walk through it, as dogs release heat through their paws.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 19-Jul-16 15:43:20

Is she on heat?

butterandcrumpets Tue 19-Jul-16 16:55:36

Hehe definitely the same dog grin. I tried the ice cubes today and she loved playing with them (not quite the idea but hey) in between naps in shady corners of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now