How bad are cooked bones?

(8 Posts)
WibblyWobblyJellyHead Wed 13-Jul-16 18:59:30

DDog always has the leftover bones from lamb chops, joints of meat, chicken wings (the kids don't eat them) etc.

She is a miniature breed (chi x) and loves them. But I know it's frowned upon. She's never choked or had any difficulty so I'm not too worried about that. Is there any other reason cooked bones are a no no?

EvansOvalPies Wed 13-Jul-16 19:03:57

As I understand it, when cooked, the bones become more brittle, thus more likely to introduce the risk of choking and blockage of the gut. My Mum used to work as a Veterinary nurse, and had several instances of having to assist in unblocking the back passage of a poor dog who had been fed bones. (She got covered from head to toe in dog shit - literally, the force of it leaving the dog was so explosive).

Chicken bones and lamb/pork chop bones are particularly bad - they splinter. You really shouldn't feed them to your dog.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 13-Jul-16 19:07:18

Chicken bones are so dangerous! Large bones like beef are ok but raw and left out to dry is a good way. Not sure what a chi would make of it.
Waitrose do bone marrow bones meant for us humans but they are half a bone so they can access the marrow wait and most of the reviews online are for people giving them to their dogs grin

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 19:08:16

They are very bad you have been lucky so far. They splinter and can tear holes in the gut which can be fatal.

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Wed 13-Jul-16 19:11:02

Oh god really? I'll stop giving them to her then. What about the big bones from a lamb leg? They're her favourite.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 19:11:59

Raw bones are fine but stay away from all cooked bones.

bloodymaria Wed 13-Jul-16 19:14:23

Yeah, it's because they can splinter when cooked and cause a great deal of damage. When I was little out beautiful bearded collie got into a bin and ate some cooked chicken bones, she had to be put to sleep because of the damage caused.

Please just don't do it op!

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 13-Jul-16 19:15:07

Never give a cooked bone to a dog. It just isn't with the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now