We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you give you dog raw meat?

(25 Posts)
OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 18:34:13

Just got a new puppy - we also have a 13.5 year old

Took new puppy to vet and in process of check up told vet I was cutting up a few pieces of raw chicken (per what the breeder told me to do) to put in top of her dry food

Vet was aghast and said never give raw food

We've been feeding our 13.5 year old raw food for her whole life - she gets a mix of raw mince/ground meat and vegetables - all fresh each day - along with some dry food/kibble

So have I been doing it wrong all these years ? Is it wrong to give uncooked meat even if it's high quality and fresh ?

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 18:54:48

Bump

SqueakyChicken Wed 13-Jul-16 18:56:31

No of course it's not wrong. Raw feeding is the best thing you can do for your dogs. Change your vet not their food!

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 18:57:00

Of course you can give raw meat!

A lot of vets don't like it because they are laid to advertise the dry food in their clinic.

Chopping up bits of chicken and putting it with dry food is not ideal though. They are digested differently and can lead to an upset tummy.

You also need to make sure you work out the correct meat/bone/offal formula.

Google raw diet for dogs or BARF for dogs go get more information.

Always remember if you give them a bone, that it's raw and not cooked

MsMims Wed 13-Jul-16 18:58:07

Could be wrong but I thought it was best not to mix raw food and dry/ processed in the same meal?

HarlettOScara Wed 13-Jul-16 18:59:41

Raw is the most natural diet for dogs and was wholeheartedly endorsed by my very experienced and world renowned vet.

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 19:08:39

We can feed raw and kibble separately no problem - is there a time allowance between ?

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 19:10:25

Raw is absolutely fine and in my opinion the best thing but raw and dry is bad I wouldnt feed any dry at all as I think you would have to fast the dog for a few days is swapping from raw to dry food

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 20:56:11

So I've been reading the reasons to not mix raw and dry

It seems that the protein in raw is digested differently to the starch in the kibble (dry)

What I don't understand why that matters - humans eat raw and dry all the time - sushi for instance - raw fish and rice - so why is it ok for humans but not dogs ?

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 21:01:32

Humans have evolved to mix food.

Dogs are still very basic with digestion.

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 21:02:14

Thx

ggirl Wed 13-Jul-16 21:05:12

my dog gets raw chicken wings
she also has dried lily's kitchen

she is fine
her poos are a work of art !

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 21:08:40

I think it depends on the dog but when they say don't mix, some can get away with giving chicken wings as a treat and then a few hours later dry kibble.

Mixing them in the same bowl is what's not advised on. And try one meat at a time to look for intolerances.

Some dogs don't handle pork very well.

Like my very awkward jrt.

He couldn't have chicken, rice, lamb, beef or pork. He was also allergic to wheat hmm fussy bugger.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 13-Jul-16 21:13:46

What kibble is it, OP? Some of the high meat content ones can be combined with raw - Eden and Bob & Lush come to mind I think the combination is worst with the cheap kibbles that are full of fillers and grain, particularly wheat, because of the way they digest it.

Our dog is kibble fed but gets a raw chicken wing every so often.

ggirl Wed 13-Jul-16 21:16:05

and mine waits until there is absolutely no chance of more chicken before she'll eat the dried food...and yes there is usually a long gap in time

Shriek Wed 13-Jul-16 21:16:09

ddogs' digestion not designed to be digesting carbs, and using a mix of kibble and raw will unbalance the overall nutrient intake.

I wouldsteer clear of pork unless frozen first, and fish.

I would make one dpups meal a day a dry one every few days (just so that they were familiar with it, but it was always their least favourite meal sad

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 21:32:26

Currently she's on purina puppy chow natural because thats what the breeder had her on and I didn't want to change it until she's settled in and then do it gently so not to cause problems

This is her

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 21:41:11

Oh she's beautiful. What are you intending on switching her to?

I don't think Purina is one of the best quality you can buy really but I haven't had to buy dog food for a long time so I could be wrong

OldGuard Wed 13-Jul-16 21:44:49

I'm not sure what to switch her too - I don't trust the vet now due to the raw food commentary - we were going to do the same as our older dog and just supplement with kibble occasionally

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 21:47:00

I suppose it's just research what you can and buy the best you can within your budget.

Nero (the highly allergic jrt) had fish4dogs.

My dogs before him used to have Arden Grange

ggirl Wed 13-Jul-16 22:59:01

honeys raw dogfood

they are extremely helpful

Shriek Sat 16-Jul-16 21:30:24

have you tried using the nature's menu that many large petshops (and indepedents) now sell in their freezers? or asking your local butcher for any raw meaty bones (not the big marrow bones, but chicken wings/carcass/lamb necks/turkey necks) they throw out if they butcher their own?

MarcoPoloCX Wed 27-Jul-16 08:10:14

I would choose raw or home cooked food over any kibbles.

To me, no matter what brand, it's nuked to death at high temperature and then vitamins and minerals are added back....... Not very natural.
The ingredient labels can be quite misleading... I mean what exactly is meat and veg derivatives?
And then there's grain splitting.

Wyldfyre Wed 27-Jul-16 08:27:19

If you decide to stick with kibble take a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk.
Go for nothing less than a 3 out of 5. Look for one with a named meat source as one of the first three ingredients and avoid anything with maize or wheat as many dogs are intolerant.
Price is not an indication of quality - there are plenty of poor foods with a top price tag.
In my view one of the best price to quality ratios is Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Wagg but far superior quality. (Though there are better quality ones out there - they can cost more though)

BagelGoesWalking Wed 27-Jul-16 13:24:46

this is a good group if you fancy seeing what people do who are completely raw feeding. There is also a list of UK wide suppliers, some will send you sample packs which are quite useful if you want to give it a try. Benefits are healthy teeth and good poos!

this is a good website about how to start. You'll see info about rates of digestion etc. and %s which are different for puppies than fully grown dogs.
I think you can easily mix, especially when a puppy, as you are feeding several times a day. Even when fully grown, you could feed twice a day, thus dividing up kibble from anything raw you wanted to give her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now