Talk

Advanced search

Was I right?

(5 Posts)
Beedoo123 Mon 11-Jul-16 16:32:46

DS (6) complained a dog had bitten him on his ankle... I looked and there was a little mark, but just that really... He wouldn't make this up so I believe the dog must have put its mouth round his leg shock we have dogs so he's used to them etc. I hadn't seen as my children were a little ahead of me...
I spoke to the owner who said she hadn't seen and was sorry if it had but was a bit shirty about it. I said her dog should have been under control in a public place, she said my children should be under control!! I said my children were entitled to walk along the pavement and if this happened again I would report the dog.

Was I right? I am going between thinking I should report anyway as a smaller or scared/screaming child could have actually been injured and thinking I didn't see it so maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all!

Thanks for your opinions smile

KoalaDownUnder Mon 11-Jul-16 16:40:26

I don't think it is worth reporting something that you didn't see and that barely left a mark.

Out of interest, what did you say when you approached the dog owner? Was the dog on a lead?

Beedoo123 Mon 11-Jul-16 16:44:17

I said my son says your dog has bitten him, can you tell me what happened? Dog wasn't on a lead...

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 11-Jul-16 16:54:17

Well she didn't deny it so yes you were perfectly right to remind her to keep her dog under control. Under the new Dangerous Dogs act amendment, a dog can be forced to wear a muzzle for the rest of it's life in public places if it's even thought to be threatening, never mind actually biting someone. Not a lot of dog owners are aware of this.

Veterinari Mon 11-Jul-16 17:12:53

It really depends on the circumstances. Could your son have chased/grabbed/provoked the dog? That doesn't excuse it but it does make it understandable.

A parent told me that my dogs should be leashed the other week when I asked them if they could stop their child chasing them with a large stick. My dogs aren't dangerous, but having never been chased by a child with a large stick before, I have to say I can't exactly predict their behaviour in that (IMHO unreasonable) situation.

It sounds as if both you and the dog owner need to supervise your charges more closely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now