Talk

Advanced search

Who knew socks could be so dangerous. ******GRAPHIC IMAGES********

(16 Posts)
starshaker Sun 10-Jul-16 19:25:31

Last week my dog was sick. I kept an eye on her and decided if she was still sick in a couple of days I would take her to the vet. The next day she seemed fine and was eating etc as normal. Over the next couple of days i noticed her appetite was less and she wasn't wanting to snuggle on the sofa, choosing to go to her crate and chill on her own. She was due her season and this is how she behaves so I thought nothing of it.

On the early hours of thursday morning she was sick again. I cleaned up and went back to bed (it was 2am). Half an hour later she was whining so I went down to let her out. I decided to take her upstairs with me cos she wasnt herself. That was when I noticed how thin she was. I could feel her bones. She's a cocker spaniel and quite fluffy so it wasn't easy to see but I felt it. During the night I thought I had lost her a couple of times.

Thursday morning came and I called the vet to have her seen. We got in and they wanted to do an X-ray which came back showing she had a small blockage. They wanted to stabilise her and hydrate her before giving her the op so she stayed overnight and was due to be operated on at 8.30am on friday. I was told to call them at 10.30 and they should be done by then. When i called they said she was still on the table and it was more complicated than they originally thought.

It was 1.45 before she finally go out of surgery. They had to remove half of her small intestines and they told me she was very very lucky. She had swallowed 1 of my daughters knee high school socks and it had got tangled in her tummy. I mentioned she had been sick the previous week and the vet said that was probably when she swallowed it and being sick moved it down which made her able to eat again.

She got out late friday night because she had eaten and had basically made a miracle recovery. So now she's home and recovering but it is gonna take a long time before she is completely better and back to herself.

I am banning socks from the house lol.

starshaker Sun 10-Jul-16 19:27:17

ishouldcocoa Sun 10-Jul-16 19:33:25

Thank you for alerting us to this. I have a cocker who has a penchant for sock carrying around the house.

I will keep a very close eye on her, and pick up any socks lying around.

I hope she makes a full recovery!

Claraoswald36 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:37:53

I have a daft cocker too. I knew about the sock risk after a friend's dog had tk be pts after several sock incidents.

starshaker Sun 10-Jul-16 19:51:30

She is hating being stuck in her small cage but needs must since she has no idea how to take it easy

ImBrian Sun 10-Jul-16 19:53:03

Poor thing, I hope she makes a quick recovery flowers

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 10-Jul-16 23:01:50

Jesus christ starshaker that must have been scary. Glad she's ok.

starshaker Mon 11-Jul-16 06:52:18

It was awful. The worst part is she never chews anything so this didn't even cross my mind. If she was known for stealing socks I probably would have gone to the vet sooner but since I've never known her to do that I just thought she had a bug or was coming into season

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 11-Jul-16 08:33:58

Socks are the single most common foreign body removed from dogs guts closely followed by stones and knickers.

Teapot101 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:19:53

I have another sock eating cocker. He passed 2/3 that I didn't know he'd had. Then he threw one up and re eaten it before I knew it. Took him to the vets, he threw up 3!

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Mon 11-Jul-16 09:23:29

Watch out for corks too. They don't show up on xrays.

Raahh Mon 11-Jul-16 09:25:45

My dog ate several strands of a mop head, which got entangled in his intestine when the vet rang to tell me, he said it was a mop bucket, which confused me! He was 5 months old at the time, and having puppy proofed the house more than I ever bothered when I had children, the last think I expected him to try to eat was the mop!

He is fine, 12 months on, and so far he hasn't eaten anything else, although he would eat baby wipes and poo bags if we let him!

LimeJellyHead Tue 12-Jul-16 20:52:36

Oh gosh, I do hope she is recovering OK. What a scare. Well done for getting it dealt with. It could have been a much sadder post.

starshaker Tue 12-Jul-16 22:59:53

Yeah she's getting there. Not wanting to stay still which is difficult but I'm sure she will be fine soon

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Tue 12-Jul-16 23:24:21

Oh my word. I'm so glad she is ok. Our pup has a sick collection, I will definitely be more aware now. Thank you for posting.

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Tue 12-Jul-16 23:24:42

*sock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now