Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gorgeous DDog being PTS tomorrow, please hold my hand.

(24 Posts)
SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Tue 05-Jul-16 21:04:32

Our mixed breed (no idea what, maybe some Lab, rescued as a stray pup in Israel) 13 yo old girl is being PTS tomorrow. Her hips gave out on her some time back, so bad now despite heavy medication that we've finally reached the point where we have to let her go.

The thing is, on Friday she was so bad that we were absolutely sure in our decision, but since then she has been much perkier the last couple of days. So now I feel sick that we might be doing this too soon. On the other hand, she's still in pain even if better than on Friday, and wouldn't it be better to let her go while she's in a not-so-bad phase, before she gets worse again?

The vet said that if you think it's probably time, then it probably is time.

So hard to know what's best. sad

Our other dog had a brain tumour a couple of years back, at the end he wasn't DDog any more, just a furry robot sad, so we were 100% sure the decision was the right one when we had him pts.

But this time, it's agonising that we might be letting her go too soon.

Please talk me through this!

elastamum Tue 05-Jul-16 21:12:59

I'm sorry - it is such a hard decision. I had to have my 6yr old doodle PTS last year as she had lymphoma. We had one last summer but I had always said that I would PTS the day she stopped eating. So the day she wouldn't eat anything I took her for a walk in the fields sat in the sun with her then drove her to the vet. She was still relatively happy and waggy - but she couldn't swallow any food as her glands were huge and I knew that if I left her she would just get weaker and weaker.

If it makes you feel any better a dog lives in the moment, so they don't think of time the way we do. As the lovely vet said to me, much better a day early than a day late. flowers

DiamondInTheRuff Tue 05-Jul-16 21:31:22

Oh Sera, I'm so sorry.

We had exactly the same experience as elasta, mad the decision to let our 6 year old lab go I'm January, also due to lymphoma. We also said it would be the day he stopped eating.

Sometimes I wonder if we were too soon, maybe we could've had a few more days, even weeks. But at what cost? The day when he's suddenly in agony and distressed? We couldn't do that.

I hope you have a peaceful night tonight. flowers

DramaAlpaca Tue 05-Jul-16 21:36:26

So sorry to hear this.

I know it's a difficult decision, but in the kindest possible way I'd just like to say if she's in pain, it's time.

As has already been said upthread, better a day too soon than a day too late.

I know how hard it is, I've been there twice.

flowers

CatherineDeB Tue 05-Jul-16 21:40:44

This is so hard OP, but better a week too early than a day too late.

I have a horrid story, one of my elderly cats. I knew that the time was approaching. Well, I decided it was time to make the appointment, went into work and when I got home she had disappeared. She came home four days later in a terrible state and I took her straight in to be pts.

I know that your lovely dog isn't going to do a disappearing act, cat style, but her death was very very hard because it was too late - if I had done it the week before it would have been entirely different.

flowers for you. sad

Barmcakebessie Tue 05-Jul-16 21:43:37

Its very hard. We don't realise how attached we become to our dogs. Some hand holding from me. We also planted a little fir tree in the garden in honour of our last family dog. flowers

SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Tue 05-Jul-16 21:49:33

Thanks everyone. She's lying here besides me snoring away right now, and seems so peaceful, but come 4 am when the drugs wear off she'll be panting like a steam train and staggering all over the house in distress.

Everyone (here and in the small group of friends I'm taking to on FB) is saying the same thing; better early than late, and you're all absolutely right.

Barmcakebessie - we planted a cherry tree for our DDog1, it's still in a pot at the moment, but we're moving to our forever home in a few weeks and will plant it properly then. We'll get a special plant for DDog2 as well. It means a lot to the DC.

TrionicLettuce Tue 05-Jul-16 22:05:07

I'm so sorry you're in this position, it's a terrible place to be sad flowers

I'm very much of the "better a week too soon than a day too late" school of thought when it comes to deciding when to PTS.

DDog1 had arthritis in his hips (as well as heart failure) and we made the decision to have him PTS the morning he woke up in pain because his bedtime dose of tramadol hadn't kept him comfortable through the night until his morning dose. He was already on the highest dose of everything he could have for his arthritis as well as all the medications for his heart and we knew once any of them stopped working that was it. That morning showed us that his pain was very close to becoming unmanageable and so we decided it was time to let him go.

He was comfortable enough once his medication kicked in but whilst he may have been fine the next day or for the next week it was absolutely going to happen again and with increasing frequency. We had a lovely day all cuddled up on the sofa with him and our other dogs then took him to be PTS that evening. He went peacefully whilst he was still comfortable and happy, being cuddled by DH and I.

We've no doubts at all that we made the right decision and our vet agreed that, as we were starting to lose control of his pain, it was the right time.

Dairybanrion Tue 05-Jul-16 22:12:13

Ah you poor thing. flowers
The way I see it ... You gave this dog a wonderful life. Death is natural and in any other circumstances she mightn't have had such a wonderful fulfilling life.
The best any animal can have is a happy loved life , much like humans.
Your dog had this. She was blessed and lucky. She had a good life.
Take care for tomorrow.

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 07:03:14

I hope today goes as well as it can for you all OP. My own lovely dog is getting on a bit and I really feel for you flowers.

DiamondInTheRuff Wed 06-Jul-16 07:49:25

Thinking of you today, OP.

Clg199 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:02:20

Sorry you are having to do this - it really is one of the worst decisions. My dog was PTS at 14 with kidney failure. He was still managing but was going downhill and had even stopped eating sardines. I see it as they don't look forward to life, they just know how they are now. So a compromise of starting to feel poorly in exchange for a slightly longer life doesn't make sense to them. I didn't want mine to feel poorly with no hope of getting better so we made the decision. Sorry if that seems blunt, but that's how I imagine it from their point of view.

I hope today goes as well as possible flowers

SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Wed 06-Jul-16 10:58:37

She had a good night's sleep for a change last night, and today is sunny, so she'll be spending the morning snoozing under the trampoline as usual (DH is home with her). The vet is coming round at about 1pm, so she can just stay out in the garden while she drifts off. It's exactly how I hoped it would be for her when the time came.

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 11:11:06

That is lovely OP, well, not lovely but a lovely morning for her - I am welling up on your behalf here.

pippinandtog Wed 06-Jul-16 14:27:37

Just read this thread and am thinking of you, Sera.
It sounds like a peaceful and dignified end.
You must have lots of happy memories of your dog; hope you can find some comfort in them.

Daftaboutthecat Wed 06-Jul-16 15:15:42

Sera thinking about you such a difficult decision but the right one flowers

SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Wed 06-Jul-16 15:19:36

She has gone, it was as peaceful as we could have hoped for and in many ways a relief. But so sad. DH is in absolute bits.

Daftaboutthecat Wed 06-Jul-16 15:44:49

Much love to you and your dh sera 💔

Teacupinastorm Wed 06-Jul-16 15:52:28

Sat in Costa sobbing at this. You did the right thing, and what a lovely way to go. Take care.

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 16:44:20

Very sad OP. Nothing else to say really, just one of the saddest things we have to do as pet owners - it sounds like she had a lovely home and life flowers.

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jul-16 16:45:28

Oh Sera, I'm so sorry for your loss. They do slip away so peacefully don't they, and break your heart when they go. Take care of yourselves x

cankles Wed 06-Jul-16 17:03:11

sending a virtual hug x

Barmcakebessie Wed 06-Jul-16 18:38:30

Awww. So sorry, virtual hug from me too, Its so sad. X

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 06-Jul-16 21:07:22

I'm so sorry. You're absolutely right to do it at home though. No stress, no uncomfortable dash to the vets, no unfamiliar sterile environment and no leaving her there. That's what we ended up doing with our poor old boy and I've regretted it ever since. We flew there in a panic and ended up having him pts and it was bloody hideous. Your lovely old girl was happy and safe in her home surrounded by her loved ones and that's just about the best way to do it. It's still awful though, I know.

You will never reproach yourself for doing it too early but you will regret it forever if you leave it too late.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now