Talk

Advanced search

Dog has a bulging, swollen eye

(6 Posts)
Truffle87 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:44:11

My beautiful boy has something wrong with his eye. It's bulging in his eye socket but the whites of his eye are bulging around his cornea. It looks like it must be so painful but he doesn't seem worried. Vet has given antibiotics and steroid injection, follow up on Monday unless it gets worse in which case they'll see him asap.

Vet thinks either an infection behind the eye or possibly a tumour but as he's only 3yrs we are hoping that won't be the case although he kept coming back to it as it's definitely something pushing the eye out.

I've just felt completely wound up and worried about it all day, cried all the way to the vets and all the way back thinking the worst if it's a tumour or that he may lose the eye. Keeping everything crossed that it doesn't get worse overnight while we are in bed. I don't even need any advice, i'm just feeling very upset about it all. Anyone had anything similar with their dog? He's a cocker spaniel and I know they are prone to eye problems but this doesn't seem to fit the usual issues that come up as it's behind the eye.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Tue 05-Jul-16 03:56:32

Hi, our friend's Spaniel had something similar and it turned out to be a grass seed that had got trapped almost behind the eye causing an infection. Did your vet x-ray?

Truffle87 Tue 05-Jul-16 06:47:42

He had a CT scan yesterday and it's definitely an infection but they couldn't find any foreign body that could be causing it. He's on super strength antibiotics for 48 hrs now to see if he can be treated medically rather than surgically. Fingers crossed! He looked so poorly yesterday :/

Daftaboutthecat Tue 05-Jul-16 12:36:18

Truffle I hope your dog doesn't need surgery and so pleased for you that it isn't a tumour.

Truffle87 Tue 05-Jul-16 13:39:45

Thank you. He's shown some improvement and they think can see a little bit through it. He's on strong pain killers now to keep him comfy. Hopefullt see an improvement from tomorrow!

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Tue 05-Jul-16 14:16:48

Great news that he is showing improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now