Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about getting a pet dog

(10 Posts)
TheLionSleepsAha Fri 01-Jul-16 14:50:13

Hello. I'm a sahm with two young children, eldest is at school(reception). I had pet dogs as a child and would like to get one, however:

A) we have three cats, is this a problem?
B) when I looked at the ones at the local sanctuary most said 'older children only'
C) is toilet training easy?
D) what do dog owners do when it comes to holidays, do pet dogs like going to kennels?
E) is it better to get a puppy or a rescue dog? We'd like a smallish one.

Thanks

samsam123 Sun 03-Jul-16 21:16:27

personally i would wait until the children are a bit older- but cats could gang up on a new dog - toliet training will vary between dogs for mine it was really easy and he got the idea that if he wanted to go he would go to the door , i take my dog on holiday with me as i hate kennels -
sorry dont know the answer

PoisonousSmurf Mon 04-Jul-16 11:29:45

Best to get a dog when the kids are much older 10+.

DiamondInTheRuff Mon 04-Jul-16 11:30:17

Dogs and young children are really, really difficult to manage. I have 21 years of dog ownership under my belt, plus professional canine behaviour qualifications, and I find it difficult to mediate between my 3YO and the dogs at times. might be better if I had any clue about small children

A) Depends on the dog. Probably don't get a greyhound. If you got a pup the cats would probably gang up, as sam says. You might get a rescue that's good with cats.

B)That's because most dogs will be happier with older children, I'm afraid. We looked long and hard for our boy as we have a 3YO DS. (Girl dog arrived before DS)

C) Maybe. Maybe not! Depends on the dog, and if you know what you're doing. My first dog picked it up very quickly. Second dog was a rescue but not toilet trained - first dog taught her quickly. Third dog came toilet trained... and so on.

D) Dogs usually come with us. Occasionally we have to go where they can't come (eg visiting in laws) and my mum will have them. Couldn't do kennels as mine are rescues and would probably be quite traumatised!

E) Completely down to preference, personally I find puppies bloody hard work. Our boy came to us at 9 months and that was younger than I'd normally go for, but he's fab in most other ways so I let him off! Aside from being hard work puppies are very impressionable, early experiences have long term effects. You need to get a good trainer from day 1.

Why do you want "smallish"? What are your requirements from a dog? IME smaller dogs are often much harder work than the bigger lazier dogs.

KittyBeans72 Thu 07-Jul-16 10:19:27

don't do it! wait till the kids are older. you may get lucky and get an awesome dog who is happy to be left alone and doesn't chew things and adores the cats and doesn't get possessive over food and never gets the runs and gets on beautifully with other dogs and doesn;t shed hair everywhere. or you might just get a normal dog and have to deal with all this cr&p and your kids. i LOVE my dog but if I'd known how hard it would be (we have two kids aged 12 and 14 and 4 cats too) i would have thought a lot harder about it.

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 10:56:09

Kitty where can I find this mythical dog you speak of? grin

ExConstance Thu 07-Jul-16 13:10:02

Can't understand the stuff about dogs and small children. With DS1 we had a collie cross and a dachshund when he was born, no problems at all. By the time DS2 came along the Dachshund had been PTS following failed back surgery and we had just acquired a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen Puppy, it was really lovely having a puppy and a baby at the same time, though the puppy was very well behaved and had the older Collie to keep him in order. The children had the benefit of having the same two dogs throughout their childhood, DS2 being 17 when the PB died in his sleep.

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 13:15:16

constance I think being an "established" dog owner and then having children is a lot easier than getting your first dog when the children are young. Certainly managing my 2 existing dogs when DS was born was a lot easier than when we recently got our rescue pup to add to the mix (one of the other dogs was pts in January so still 2 dogs).

ExConstance Thu 07-Jul-16 16:10:08

I've never lived in a home without a dog, I would be bereft without one and it is the natural state of life to me, so maybe my experiences are different to those who are new dog owners. Also we have always been very lucky with our dogs who may have had traits that drove us mad have always been good natured and companionable.

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 17:14:47

Same here, simply can't imagine not sharing my home and my life with dogs. Definitely a passion for me! I don't think most people feel that way though, do they? Certainly most people I know think I'm a bit mad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now