help with dog dye? I think we've been lied to

(113 Posts)
GremioGiellini Wed 29-Jun-16 19:21:30

Our dog groomer moved country and sold her business, we got another dog and we get both groomed, one dog the groomer said would be great for grooming shows, that the dogs have fun and that she'd love to dye the dogs hair, it's safe, not harmful to the dogs fur etc and I did some research and found that using some methods like food colouring can work and it's not harmful.

So last week she got her fur dyed and the groomer said it was a L'oreal product I randomly thought to see how expensive it was as she isn't charging extra.

I can't find any L'oreal products for dogs and a family member said she used crazy colours before which after googling seems like it is semi perm inane for humans.

We've been lied to haven't we? And now I don't know if the 2-3 times its been done will have harmed the dog. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm really angry about this

GremioGiellini Wed 29-Jun-16 19:26:47

And I realise now that's an unfortunate title

GissASquizz Wed 29-Jun-16 19:27:58

We need a picture.

sparechange Wed 29-Jun-16 19:29:01

You've dyed your dog? For 'a bit of fun'?
shock

DixieNormas Wed 29-Jun-16 19:29:56

I'm just place marking for pictures, sorry!

dogdrifts Wed 29-Jun-16 19:30:06

Pics or it didn't happen.

WibbleWobbleJellyHead Wed 29-Jun-16 19:30:25

U wot m8?

TheUnsullied Wed 29-Jun-16 19:31:37

You got someone to dye your dog without even asking them how they planned on doing it?? Why?!

I do hope your poor dog is ok.

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:31:50

i...what?

sparechange Wed 29-Jun-16 19:32:02

What colour have you dyed it?
Does the dog seem to be having more fun since you did it?
Are you on glue?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a fuller picture of what the actual fuck your were thinking

Jackie0 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:32:43

You need to go to the salon and ask to see what she used!
It could be so dangerous

TheUnsullied Wed 29-Jun-16 19:33:02

Just re-read. You've had your dog's fur dyed repeatedly?!

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 29-Jun-16 19:33:20

This may be a really stupid question but why the actual fuck would you even contemplate dying the dog?

And...honestly? L'Oreal dye for dogs? Did you really think that was a thing????

TheWildRumpyPumpus Wed 29-Jun-16 19:34:04

L'Oreal, because you're WOOF it.

Sorry...

iklboo Wed 29-Jun-16 19:36:52

gringrin

Imnotaslimjim Wed 29-Jun-16 19:38:20

Is it a poodle? They're the only dogs I've ever seen dyed, but they use vegetable colours that wash straight out. Crazy Colours are really harsh on the hair, I can't imagine what it's done to your poor dog.

GremioGiellini Wed 29-Jun-16 19:42:58

No not actual dye, I feel I'm not coming across fully understandable I think it's called colouring an extreme example I guess would be this the picture attached from google. I've seen it a lot and always thought it was cruel, the new groomer for about 4 months of appointments convinced us it was safe and not harmful, and she goes to dog grooming shows that encourage it and do shows anddemonstrations etc, I did some googling and saw that it can be done and safely. So against my better judgement I said ok. It does come out after 2-3 weeks. But I did some googling about the products and I can't find one set and the other it seems like it is for humans,

I'm really angry about this and hoping someone has some insight as if I am not wrong I'm really annoyed and upset, and wondering what I can do about the groomer as its wrong that she's lying and potentially hurting the dogs

* my dog isn't fully done it's like the ears have been dipped, and no I'm not a fan of it

PatronIcingBardStarred Wed 29-Jun-16 19:43:32

TheWildRumpyPumpus gringringrin

Whatslovegottodo Wed 29-Jun-16 19:44:45

shock
That poodle!!

GremioGiellini Wed 29-Jun-16 19:48:19

And with the Loreal thing she didn't say that's what she was using, I'm not even sure that's just what someone thought she said the new thing was AFTER she did it. Same with the crazy colours I'm not 100% that this I it, neither is the family member who told me. This isn't being taken seriously and jokes are being made but I'm angry that it has happened and it's not a laughing matter IMO

GremioGiellini Wed 29-Jun-16 19:49:57

Can I please have serious answers only, because I think this is serious and the jokes aren't helping

Blistory Wed 29-Jun-16 19:50:15

It's wrong that she did it. It's just as wrong that you agreed to it.

This was your pet dog ? And you're walking it with dyed ears ? That you've had dyed several times ? And you're only now questioning the method that was used rather than the whole concept ?

TheUnsullied Wed 29-Jun-16 19:53:48

We can't tell you if you've harmed your dog though. We're online strangers, most of whom aren't vets. The most we can really do is try to work out why you'd want to dye your dog.

SnotGoblin Wed 29-Jun-16 19:54:09

There is absolutely no point speculating and wondering. Go and see her, ask to view the product. Read it, research it then pull your head in and protect your dog from further possible harm.

squiggleirl Wed 29-Jun-16 19:54:44

Why would you dye a dog's hair? It being safe and not harmful is not a reason to do it. I can't see what a dog would get out of the whole experience. Let's face it, you dye the dogs hair for you, nothing to do with it being good/desirable for them.

I think it's only once you can square that ethical puzzle away that you can then move on to the ethics of what was used to dye your dog's hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now