Researching having a dog (after meeting a schnoodle!) - what do I need to know/read?

(5 Posts)
AnnieAm Tue 28-Jun-16 18:19:44

I've been wanting a dog as a family pet for a while now and have been waiting for my DC's to get a bit older so I have more time for a puppy. Anyone have any advice on where to start with all I need to know? I grew up with a dog but haven't had one as an adult. Tips please!

ImBrian Tue 28-Jun-16 19:05:43

Maybe spend some time with friends who have dogs and spend some time looking through threads on here. The basic things are that they smell, make a mess and chew stuff but they're fabulous at the same time smile

AnnieAm Tue 28-Jun-16 21:40:40

Ha, I like that summary thanks! I think we need to dog sit, the friends we have with dogs that we meet up with are all seemingly very well behaved ha! I think it's like preparing for a baby, you don't realise how hard it is until it's yours 24/7!

ImBrian Tue 28-Jun-16 21:46:56

The first few weeks are hard, then it eases up a bit. Then they hit puberty and all hell breaks loose wink.

I think it all depends on breed, some pups defenitly seem more east going then others.

DiamondInTheRuff Mon 04-Jul-16 11:40:53

they smell, make a mess and chew stuff

My husband does 2 of these things and is far less adorable than my dogs... grin

How old are your DCs now? What sort of dog are you looking for? And what's a Schnoodle? <dim>

Sit down and have a good think about exactly what you want - how much exercise you can give, do you fancy trying any dog sports etc. Have a look around for training classes to see what's available.

Check out local rescues, read profiles of dogs. Puppies are damn hard work, and as Brian says just when you think you're making progress the turn into wilful teenagers that won't do a thing you say!

Reading wise - look at "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now