Retraining not to pee/poo in garden

(5 Posts)
AppleSetsSail Wed 22-Jun-16 08:48:01

Just that, really. Has anyone had any luck with a second wave of training where you move all pee/pee to walks?

My dog (10 month old Golden Retriever) is by now very well housebroken but our garden often stinks (it's astoturfed). I can easily get the first pee/poo of the day in the garden by not letting her out and heading to the park first thing, but the rest of the day is a challenge.

Also, I'm uncertain of my level of commitment. How much work will this be?

I realise the solution is pretty obvious, I just wanted to hear from someone who had done it.

DeltaSunrise Wed 22-Jun-16 10:53:47

Placemarking of that's ok.

Our black lab boy refuses to pee/poo out on walks and can be out 3 hours before coming home and going straight into the garden.

Our garden is small and I really want the kids to play out there without worrying about standing in a poo I've missed.

We have a small park 30seconds from our house with dog poo bins, I take him there all the time but he refuses to poo and waits until we get home.

AppleSetsSail Wed 22-Jun-16 10:57:27

Oh boy, that's even worse Delta.

Would he poo if you were on a day out? I'd feed him an enormous bowl of food and head to the park with my kindle. wink

georgedawes Wed 22-Jun-16 11:17:09

Have you taught a command word for going to the loo? I'd start there and then see how you get on. I had the opposite problem, my dog wouldn't under any circumstances go in the garden! But we got there in the end.

insan1tyscartching Wed 22-Jun-16 20:40:23

Eric won't use the garden for toileting I think he sees it as an extension of the house. He does all toileting on his three walks a day. We didn't teach him though it just happened once he was old enough to go outside the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now