Talk

Advanced search

Dog search frustration

(11 Posts)
boybabies Fri 17-Jun-16 09:36:31

My beloved dog died a few months ago.
I miss him every day and after much soul searching have decided I need another dog in my life.
We as a family have decided a Border Terrier would suit us very well. I know lots of them of all ages.
My initial thoughts were on a rescue dog, I have had puppies in the past and whilst cute they are lots of hard work.
I contacted the specific breed rescue and was advised that as we have youngish children a rescue terrier would not be advisable. They suggested I try to find a puppy from a show family which has not quite made the grade. I am guessing they don't come up often.
So I've been considering finding a new puppy from a reputable breeder. Found one on kennel club website, planned litter of dogs with good bloodlines, breeding to keep a bitch etc. I Google her phone number and she also advertises 2 kinds of 'oodle' puppies too!
I have been to local dog shows, contacted the breed club, no one ever responds.
Sorry for such a long post, I'm just becoming increasingly frustrated. I know it takes time to find the right dog, I waited a year last time, but no wonder people end up with puppy farm dogs when it's this hard to do it right.
Is there anything else I should be doing??

TrionicLettuce Fri 17-Jun-16 12:10:16

Are you emailing or ringing the breed club? For some reason I find it's much easier to get in touch by phone, it seems a common thing in the dog world for some reason!! Also try the regional breed clubs as well as the national one. BTs are pretty popular so there are a number of smaller clubs up and down the country.

Champdogs is quite good for finding decent breeders.

The KC Assured Breeder Scheme is also a reasonable starting point but the scheme isn't perfect and there are lots of good breeders who aren't part of it.

Jeremysfavouriteaunt Fri 17-Jun-16 12:19:21

I am very pro rescue, have you tried smaller independent rescues? Two that I can think of are black retriever cross (they have all sorts and re home with children). Helen Mcgarry rescue dogs.
They are on Facebook, I know that they are responsible, have puppies, older dogs and fully asess dogs with cats and children. They also will take back a dog if you can't keep it for whatever reason.
Just last night Helen posted a heartbreaking photo of a group of four young, healthy dogs who will be out to sleep today. Some pure bred if that's what you want.
They are mostly from Cyprus, some here. They organise all vaccinations, passports, home checks.

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Jun-16 12:23:44

Trigger on dogsblog?

boybabies Fri 17-Jun-16 13:48:14

I am registered with Champdogs but live in Northern England, near Scottish Borders so not many options up here.
I have been put off rescue dogs somewhat after my conversation with Border Terrier Welfare - the lady had been involved in the breed for 50 years and strongly advised not getting a rescue with young children. She obviously had no benefit in saying this.
I will try ringing my local club representative, I have mailed the Secretary and my closest club contact but had no replies.confused

boybabies Fri 17-Jun-16 13:52:12

Also the lady breeding 3 types of dog, 2 of them 'designer' crossbreeds was affiliated to kennel club. She screams puppy farm.

Whitney168 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:23:51

Are you on the Border Terrier Club's Facebook page? www.facebook.com/The-Border-Terrier-Club-144384128957685/?fref=nf

I don't have experience of this breed, but do have experience of others - and I would say that often re-homes of slightly older pups that haven't quite worked out for the show ring happen because the right home comes up, rather than the breeder actively looking to re-home them.

So, perhaps join the page, quick intro post saying a bit about yourself and saying that you are happy to bide your time but are looking to get a slightly older dog and could people bear you in mind.

boybabies Fri 17-Jun-16 15:38:17

Great idea, thank you!

DartmoorDoughnut Fri 17-Jun-16 15:42:26

The breeder we got our BT from also breeds 2 other pedigree breeds but all breeds are only bred occasionally, she's also heavily involved in rescue/the dog world in general. I was in contact with her for over a year before we got our BT from her and she is genuinely fab. She's Midlands based, if you're interested message me and I'll give you her details smile

RebuildingMyself Fri 17-Jun-16 16:10:13

Also the lady breeding 3 types of dog, 2 of them 'designer' crossbreeds was affiliated to kennel club. She screams puppy farm.

Anyone can register a pedigree with KC and advertise them on their website. That is not being affiliated with KC.

KC do have an Assured Breeders Scheme - this is different to KC registering a puppy and advertising on their website. Assured breeders have a specific symbol next to their name. These have been vetted by KC and should definitely not be puppy farms - if you have any concerns about an Assured Breeder contact KC and they will send someone out to the breeders premises to reassess.

Jeremysfavouriteaunt Fri 17-Jun-16 17:20:48

Fair enough, I do think that people who say this about rescue dogs are not basing it on proper research. Unfortunately you only have to search this forum to find people that have had problems with their pure bred pedigree which they have had from a puppy and aggression.

I have two friends who have re homed dogs that are KC registered and agressive.

I have a pure breed, it's nothing at all against that, I just think that the myth that all rescues are rehomed due to behaviour problems needs changing. Lots of puppies in rescue, lots have had an owner die etc.

I appreciate that you don't want this to turn in to a debate about rescue dogs so I will leave at this point. Hopefully someone browsing might think about a rescue.

Good luck with your search, hopefully someone will know a good breeder that you can use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now