Talk

Advanced search

tell me its going to be fine and i am an experienced boxer dog owner

(11 Posts)
pud1 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:29:58

i pick up my new boxer puppy on the 6th july and i am having a wobble.

i had a boxer for 12 years since he was a pup but he died in march. he was a great dog. i had him before dds and could not of wished for a better family dog. he had issues with walking on a lead, the bugger pulled like mad until he got to his favourite spots but other than that he was fab.

i thought hard about getting another dog, the breed we bought was never in question we are boxer lovers so up until now i felt that i have gone into it with my eyes fully open. i am now panicking about the joys that come with a puppy. my boy was a nightmare as a pup as most of them are. he chewed for England. we plan to work it so the new pup is not alone in the first few weeks but inevitably we are going to have to leave it at some point for short periods ( oh works from home mostly and i am part time) i never bothered with a crate before but am wondering if this would be a good option. i remember passing my neighbours window and seeing that her beagle pup had eaten the entire sofa while she was out and i would like to avoid any major damage.

i think this is all stemming from the fact that i have just been looking at all the photos of our old dog to make a collage for oh's birthday present. it dawned on me that almost every photo we have of our old boy is of him on the bed, on the sofa, laying on the grass. he was quite a chilled dog once he got to adulthood but i know puppies are a different story all together.

so please tell me i am going to be fine and any puppy tips would be greatly appreciated

suno1 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:17:22

Ahhh bless you. You will be fine, you've already done it once. Puppy classes are good socialization and early training helps. Most of all enjoy your new pup 🐶

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 16-Jun-16 16:57:34

The rose tinted glasses are operating, you have forgotten all the hard you put in to get the fabulous chilled dog.
It is hard, but so worth it.

NettleFarseer Fri 17-Jun-16 07:11:44

Oh how wonderful,I love boxer puppiesgrin
Sorry I haven't got anything constructive to add. We've had boxers forever and they are bastards when they're pupswink

WeekendAway Fri 17-Jun-16 07:27:51

Why don't you just circumvent this by giving him plenty of things to chew? They do grow out of the random chewing by about six months anyway. Mine lives in a sort of lean-to/garden room when we were out and as it was a split level house there was a little flight of about four stairs to the back door. We came home one day to find he'd chewed halfway through the banisters!

I would recommend a large crate with a blanket over it that also doubles as his bed and safe place. That way you can put him in there and shut the door for short periods of time (no more than 2 hours or so at a time) when you are out and give him some toys and something robust to chew on while he's in there.

Mine has had a crate from day one and he loves it, though he's never been routinely locked in at night or for anything other than short periods.

Kaffiene Fri 17-Jun-16 07:36:35

Owner of a massive 5 month old pup here. We are crating for the first time. Honestly it's amazing. Dpup still lounges on the sofa, bed etc when we are around and watching her but when we go out she goes in her crate with her blanket and a bunch of chew toys. She is calm and settled in there. No more coming home to accidents and a trashed house. Toilet training was a breeze compared to the last time I did it without a crate.
She also has a crate in our room which she happily goes into at night. Again I sleep so much better knowing she is safe and secure and can't get into trouble. She is outgrowing her night crate so we will see how she goes without that soon but I think we will be keeping the day crate for a while yet!

NettleFarseer Fri 17-Jun-16 07:46:55

Agree with above about the wonders of crate training. It was a revelation!

Slothlikesundays Fri 17-Jun-16 08:00:35

Crate train, classes asap and teach him how to walk on the lead. Boxers are a handful and hard work but put in maximum effort for the first year and the next 10 will be easy. Going through the puppy stage is hard with any breed, just be consistent and have confidence in yourself.

Daftaboutthecat Fri 17-Jun-16 10:22:38

Definitely go for the crate training our pup just loves his and will happily take himself off to it when tired. Another tip put him in the crate when you are sitting down to any family meal with his own chew stops them inadvertently getting anything that is dropped by the kids and realises that mooching around while you are eating is a good thing. Ours is now running to his crate when he sees us starting to put plates out. Out crate is in kitchen though so pup can still see us.

EssentialHummus Fri 17-Jun-16 10:39:56

Oh god the chewing! Ours ate through the computer cable for the computer that I was writing my dissertation on at the time (funny in hindsight; at the time, not so much).

I'd say you need to chuck lots of things at him to chew, ideally things with a treat inside so he sticks with it for a good while.

And start training early <bitter experience>

pud1 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:46:59

Thank you. I am defiantly with the crate. Let's hope it saves the furniture

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now