Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for Labs to sleep literally all day?

(13 Posts)
blueskyinmarch Wed 15-Jun-16 20:24:11

I have a 4 year old female, yellow lab. The last few days have been horrible as in wet, misty and cold. Apart from her feeds and her two walks she has not moved off her bed. She got up to say hello to some workmen but that was it. Hasn’t come into the room where i have been most of the day.

She doesn’t seem ill and was perky enough when being walked and she does have form for being a bit lazy but this past few days she has been mega lazy. Is this normal? Should i take her to the vet?

blueskyinmarch Wed 15-Jun-16 21:01:23

No lab owners with any words of wisdom for me?

babyblackbird Wed 15-Jun-16 22:20:39

Sounds very similar to my 2 year old lab, although he will just about push himself to move rooms if I do sometimes. Quite often he can't even be arsed to get out of his bed when we get back from being out.

He has always been like this - I seriously wondered if there was something wrong with him as a pup because he was so lazy.

almostthirty Wed 15-Jun-16 22:22:11

Sounds lime every lab I've ever owned! Very lazy unless food is involved!

mayoketchupchocolate Wed 15-Jun-16 22:23:50

Mine is only half lab, but he's like that too! He has only just been out for a walk as he hates rain and it has been raining here all day, but he's still been sleeping 99% of the day!

blueskyinmarch Wed 15-Jun-16 22:24:37

That's actually very reassuring. She's just a lazy shite not ill.

Wyldfyre Thu 16-Jun-16 07:01:37

The complete opposite to my three (two at 4.5 years and one nine year old). They will sleep in front of the fire - but they need a five mile walk first. But they are working type, which may make a difference

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 16-Jun-16 07:06:24

I would be worried if she's changed her behaviour.

If she's always been like this, then OK, but if she's only been doing it for the last few days and it's a marked difference from how she was earlier, then I would watch her and maybe want her checked.

Labs do tend to be lazy, she's still very young though.
Is it hot where you are? That can make her sleep more.

Toooldtobearsed Thu 16-Jun-16 07:08:39

After first walk my two sleep until they deem it is time for next walk. Then they go to sleep until it is time for tea. Then they catch a quick snooze before last walk which exhausts them so much they need a good kip before bedtime.
Its a hard life.

Having said that, if we have visitors, are gardening, or just generally 'doing stuff', they forego their sleep to help us by getting under our feet, lying in doorways, closely examining every miniscule detail of what is happening, just to be sure we are doing it properly.

DDog1 is very particular with the vacuuming.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 16-Jun-16 07:48:34

Mine's another gundog breed known for being a bit fizzier generally than labs. He's usually pretty chilled in the house as long as he's had two good off lead romps. He'll sleep/doze quite a bit during the day but he's always interested in anything that's going on. So if I go into another room to do something he'll usually mooch along after me to check in doing it right. And he will always spring into immediate action if there's ever the prospect of any food hmm.

If he's much quieter than normal then I know he's not feeling well so if this is out of character get her checked out

blueskyinmarch Thu 16-Jun-16 08:28:00

Thanks for the responses. I have just had her out for a walk and she seemed to have her usual enthusiasm for sniffing out rabbits and chewing grass. She is also responding with enthusiasm to all food opportunities.

It is not hot here, in fact it is unseasonably cold, damp and miserable so we haven’t been in the garden at all. If it is nice she likes to be out with us, prowling the perimeter of the garden to ward off intruders!

Having thought about it i have realised that i have an 18yo DD who is maintaining an heavy, post exam routine of chill/sleep/eat. I actually suspect she is a labrador in disguise. I think they have synced their daily routines and that the dog is fine.

TWOBANANAS Thu 16-Jun-16 08:32:15

My lab puppy is the laziest thing around. Loves her walks but loves being lazy :-D

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Thu 16-Jun-16 13:00:31

I'm wondering where the phrase 'a dog's life' came from - sleeping, walking and chilling sounds a perfect life to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now