Talk

Advanced search

New puppy upset tummy

(7 Posts)
WarmSound Wed 15-Jun-16 09:38:42

We got our new Shih-Tzu pup a week ago, he is amazing, we all love him to bits. He is going to the toilet outside for the most part and goes in his crate at night with no fuss.

This morning he was whining to come out, which is the first time he has done this, he's normally fast asleep at that time and when I took him out he went for a poo it was runny (sorry).

He's been on Royal Canin Shih Tzu junior food which was what his breeder gave him, with tiny pieces of cooked chicken when he's been doing training.

Yesterday he nicked a bit of DD's sandwich and a bit of the cat's biscuits when I forgot to put them up out of his way.

He is a PFP so I'm fretting a bit, do I need to do anything? Vets? Just keep an eye on him?

Gratuitous puppy pics attached, just because I want to show him off grin

suno1 Wed 15-Jun-16 10:36:14

If you're worried, then go to the vet's, it will put your mind at rest. I personally just monitor mine, if they get worse I feed chicken and rice. Has he been wormed?

Princesspeach1980 Wed 15-Jun-16 16:00:47

I think it's fairly common for them to get a runny bum every now and then, I normally cut out any food except their dry food for a few hours and keep a close eye. Vets if you're worried though, or if he's not seeming well in himself.

Wyldfyre Wed 15-Jun-16 17:48:55

Chicken and rice or scrambled egg to bind.
Do keep an eye on him though as puppies can go downhill quickly and if in doubt call your vet.

Just as an aside I'd also consider changing foods. Not only is there little difference between the breed specific foods (it's a marketing ploy really) but RC is a very expensive poor quality food. You could get far better for the same money or less.

LHReturns Wed 15-Jun-16 21:21:53

I have three Shih Tzus and they all had runny bums in the early weeks on and off. All got better (possibly with some Prokolin paste) except one of them who had diarrhea for a week until we had it tested and he had developed a bacterial infection. We managed to solve it with ProFibre probiotic granules - didn't need antibiotics.

Don't worry too much - puppies constantly pick up and eat the wrong thing, and it usually involves a lot of clearing up of sloppy, mucusy Poo!! Just don't let it go on for more than a few days without getting him checked.

WarmSound Wed 15-Jun-16 23:54:58

Thank you for the help, I rang the vets who advised the plain diet, so he's just had plain chicken today. He's been running round like a maniac so doesn't appear to be too bothered grin

What food would you recommend in the future? He was weaned on the Royal Canin but I'm open to suggestions on a better one?

Wyldfyre Thu 16-Jun-16 07:04:28

Take a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk. Go for nothing less than a 3 out of 5. Look for one with a named meat source as one of the first three ingredients and avoid anything with maize or wheat as many dogs are intolerant.
Price is not an indication of quality - there are plenty of poor foods with a top price tag.
In my view one of the best price to quality ratios is Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Wagg but far superior quality - however that may not be best for a small dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now