Wet dog smell

(10 Posts)
ChairRider4 Mon 13-Jun-16 15:55:02

Wondering what people do about it .as in dog and the smell that in house from

My lab boy is rather fond of throwing himself at any bit of water he can see .Also walk on the rain

But he gets rather pongy to say the least .Dont want to be bathing him regularly but aware that some noses more sensitive than others

AlcoChocs Mon 13-Jun-16 16:20:44

Labs do tend to honk a bit when wet smile.
Mine gets a good towelling then stays outside mostly sleeping till dry. If it's raining or freezing cold he goes in the utility room where his bed is. Bed's got a waterproof cover and I remove the vetbed that's on top so it doesn't get soaked.

Wyldfyre Mon 13-Jun-16 16:27:28

Doesn't solve it but helps lessen it by getting them drier than a normal towel - Easidri towel

EasyToEatTiger Mon 13-Jun-16 17:43:29

Learn to love the smell! All our furniture is covered with doggy throws which get washed when the smell is overwhelming. Our dogs can get a bit pongy if they haven't been brushed for a while, and some dogs I think just smell more than others. Or is it just that mine don't smell at all? Like ever?

LimeJellyHead Mon 13-Jun-16 20:59:11

After my dog has been in the water I put his drying coat on him. He is almost dry by the time we get home, just from sitting in the car. Great for after baths too... although I only bathe him twice a year.

He has the camouflage one and I love it www.dfordog.co.uk/dog-drying-coat.html

Oh and there are two others from that range, one also covers the chest/belly and another has a big neck too.... for getting them completely dry. No more wet dog, that's for sure.

EllenTheEgret Mon 13-Jun-16 21:10:39

I'm having the same issue & reckon that the key is to get them dry as quickly as possible. Thinking of getting an Easidri towel but they're very expensive. Can anyone tell me whether Easidri towels are the same material as microfiber travel towels, or are they something different?

LimeJellyHead Mon 13-Jun-16 21:27:25

With a drying coat you have the benefit of the microfibre towelling (yay) but actually on the dog in the shape of a coat, so it won't come off, like a towel would grin

ChairRider4 Mon 13-Jun-16 22:18:57

Thank you

Normally when dry he is just normal lab pongy but hey ho anyone will just have to deal with wet lab smell

He will roll in tiny puddle if all can find .Luckily he not roll in fox poo or worse .We won't discuss his eating habits through

ChairRider4 Mon 13-Jun-16 22:20:15

Will look at one of those drying coats .If nothing else may keep the muddy pattern of the wall to just simple patterns instead of multi pattern

Wyldfyre Tue 14-Jun-16 06:16:42

Ellen no they are not the same as microfibres towels. It's a special hydrophilic material (holds water) so you actually have to keep them damp but they suck up water like nothing else and don't need to be dried afterwards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now