Talk

Advanced search

Carrying treats and other dog walking essentials

(25 Posts)
RebuildingMyself Sun 12-Jun-16 22:31:09

How do you carry all your dog walking essentials, particularly in summer, when its too hot for coats?

Also does anyone use a treat bag? If so which one? I thought picking a treat bag would be easy but there are so many options with vastly differing prices. I just got myself all confused

TrionicLettuce Sun 12-Jun-16 22:38:54

I just use a pretty basic small bumbag. I can fit in my phone, keys, plenty of poo bags and a sandwich bag full of treats. If I'm taking a toy it gets stuffed in the back pocket of my jeans.

Wineandzoflora Sun 12-Jun-16 22:42:29

Well up in Scotland I'm still wearing the winter Parker (though last few weeks just a cardi) so leads flung round neck and poo bags, phone etc stuffed into coat pockets. I didn't realise their was a special " bag" ?

MadisonAvenue Sun 12-Jun-16 22:47:33

I just use a small cross body bag. Never take treats out though, it's just for my phone, keys, dog bags, tissues and sometimes my camera. I carry the lead, walking on my own through quiet woods I'd like to think I could swing it and inflict a little pain with the metal clip if I needed to.

CMOTDibbler Sun 12-Jun-16 22:53:11

I have a cross body bag like [[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Multiple-Zip-Pocket-Lightweight-Messenger-Shoulder-Cross-Body-Bag-/161750124972?var=&hash=item25a90f09ac:m:mti5A1l8iDrtIpweU6Vl3-w this] that I use for dog walking - poo bags in one pocket, treats in another, balls in centre pocket, whistle lives in another. Keeps it all in one place rather that in multiple coat pockets

mateysmum Sun 12-Jun-16 22:59:52

I use a freebie bum bag I got years ago. Holds keys, bags, treats and has a phone pocket too. It's ideal.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 12-Jun-16 23:06:25

also a ridiculous bumbag here...lots of zippy pockets for poo bags, car keys, phone, treats, also sturdy enough to hang a bottle of water on. And the lead fits in too. I make the dogfaces carry their own doings home...spare clip on their harnesses and double bag it.

In the winter it's all in the coat pockets.

I tend to put it over one shoulder, cross body style unless I have a flappy cardi on, then I do it up tight to make me look like I have a waist.

MrsSpecter Sun 12-Jun-16 23:13:43

I wear a black bumbag i got in poundland. It has a pocket in front that perfectly fits my phone. One in the back for poo bags and a larger one in the middle for treats and clicker and a small ball.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 12-Jun-16 23:20:23

Cross body bag unless we're running and then there are no treats - just my key and poo bags!

HonniBee Sun 12-Jun-16 23:40:11

We use this: www.amazon.co.uk/Rewards-Deluxe-Training-Doggone-Good/dp/B009EVRAPE#immersive-view_1465769057015

I like the bag dispenser on the side. It's also easy access to the treats!

Wyldfyre Mon 13-Jun-16 06:21:58

I have a small rabbit skin pouch that was originally meant as a Flyball tuggy. However they show no interest in tuggies in the ring so i hang it off my belt for easy treat access.
Whistle on lanyard around neck. Everything else in jeans pockets

LilCamper Mon 13-Jun-16 08:07:05

I second the Doggone Good Rapid Rewards. They are so good I have 3!

They wash really well, the magnetic closure stops my dogs from mugging me and there is ample space for clicker, whistle, houseline, phone, keys and a roll of poo bags.

pigsDOfly Mon 13-Jun-16 12:16:02

I like the look of that messenger bag Dibbler. Can I ask the size? I find most bags of this type too small to hold the dog's water bottle.

The bag I have is across the shoulder like that but it doesn't have all the pockets so I have to put additional bags inside.Would love something more compact.

CMOTDibbler Mon 13-Jun-16 12:28:45

Its 25cm in the largest pocket - so I can get a 500ml water bottle in there. For a small bag, I can get an amazing amount in there, which is great when we go for a bigger walk, or where ds will want to paddle so I put a microfibre towel in, snack, tiny first aid kit (because if you've been 3 miles from home with a dog dripping blood from the end of its ear, you need a dressing!), purse, phone, water. And I can still find everything

pigsDOfly Mon 13-Jun-16 18:58:53

Thanks for that Dibbler. Definitely sounds like the bag for me, will be searching one out this evening.

I see so many people out with their dogs, even in the hottest weather without a sign of a bag with water bottle and all the stuff I seem to need on a dog walk, sometimes think I a bit ott; your list makes me feel quite restrained though smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 13-Jun-16 19:25:43

It depends on the walk - this evening I went running with them, so I just had poo bags in my bra! But a 4 hour walk up on the hills, or a few hours in the woods where I'll sit by the stream for a hour while dogs and boy paddle, and its a bit different in terms of what I need. I think its quite restrained when I see people doing the same walk route with a rucksac!

SnoopDoggyDogg Mon 13-Jun-16 19:34:29

I have a Doog dog walking belt but I don't like wearing it around my waist as it never stays tight enough and moves around so I put one arm through it like a sash.

Patterkiller Mon 13-Jun-16 19:38:52

This www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IWATH86/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1465843062&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=canvas+cross+shoulder+small+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=41QWfnTL5RL&ref=plSrch

LyndaNotLinda Mon 13-Jun-16 19:40:33

I don't think it's at all OTT to ensure your dog has water! If I'm going somewhere without a cafe en route, I'll take a flattening water bowl and a bottle of water (for both of us!)

That bag looks good CMOT smile

Pixa Mon 13-Jun-16 19:40:35

I have this Doog walking bag; I love it. It's the perfect size for me.

www.barksandbunnies.co.uk/blogs/product-reviews/16418525-doog-dog-walking-treat-bag-review

Patterkiller Mon 13-Jun-16 19:40:43

Sorry link mess. But it's fab, it has zip compartment for keeping stuff safe but a kind of open but for access to treats. Enough room for balls and poo bags.

RebuildingMyself Mon 13-Jun-16 21:20:16

Thanks all. Very mixed then.

I've always really liked messenger bags and they seem to be the stylish option but unfortunately they trigger off my neck and shoulder problems sad.

I might actually have a bumbag somewhere from many many years ago when I did a fair bit of hiking.

I do like the look of the Doggone Good Rapid Rewards. Do those who have it really think its worth the extra money compared to a cheap bumbag and/or the cheap treat bags you can get for £4ish?

HonniBee Tue 14-Jun-16 07:27:33

Definitely better than the cheap treat bags- they just don't last! Doggone good is really good quality and well made- no signs of wear and tear yet. (Our last bag only lasted a couple of months)

Can't really compare it to a bumbag as we haven't had one. Although one feature that I like is the main pouch closes with magnets so getting a treat out one handed is easy (I imagine unzipping etc with a bumbag will require two hands?) I guess it depends on how you train.

LilCamper Tue 14-Jun-16 08:16:50

The first Rapid Reward I bought has lasted 2 years so far and it gets washed regularly.

JustBeingJuliet Wed 15-Jun-16 22:53:36

I have a cross body bag similar to the one linked above. I use it as a normal handbag but it has pockets for poo bags, treats etc and enough room for a water bottle and a ball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now