Talk

Advanced search

Probably stupid question about dog on heat

(9 Posts)
EllenTheEgret Sun 12-Jun-16 08:59:29

Dlurcher is approx 6 years old, female (obvs!) and not yet spayed. She's a rescue and has been with us for about 8 weeks. About 7 days ago I noticed a red/brown splodge of liquid on the floor next to her bed so assumed that this meant she was on heat. The internet suggests she should bleed for about 10 days before getting really horny for another couple of weeks but since that one incident there has been nothing. She is maybe very slightly grumpier with other dogs but otherwise no behavioural chages. I've not noticed any changes to her lady bits either. Any thoughts? Do dogs get "spotting"? Or could it be something else? We've been keeping her on lead just in case. Thanks!

georgedawes Sun 12-Jun-16 09:14:23

She can have a silent season and/or be very clean so you'd not know she was in season. I'd be ultra careful just in case! And get her spayed in 3 months time.

EllenTheEgret Sun 12-Jun-16 09:17:52

Thanks, and yes - spaying 3 months after her first heat with us is the plan.

SplodgeBear1988 Sun 12-Jun-16 09:34:11

Dogs tend to clean up after themselves so watch for her cleaning her bits more that usual.

EllenTheEgret Sun 12-Jun-16 10:04:26

Haven't noticed her cleaning more than usual and there's no trace of blood on her bed so maybe it's a silent season.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 12-Jun-16 10:31:48

I would get her to a vet very soon and have her checked for a Pyometra (infection in the womb) which can cause spotting and irregular discharge. Pyometra is unfortunately too common in unspayed bitches and can cause death if left untreated.

tabulahrasa Sun 12-Jun-16 10:33:31

Without any other signs of coming into heat, I'd assume blood was an issue needing medical attention.

EllenTheEgret Sun 12-Jun-16 10:39:46

Gosh - thank you for that info! Will call vet tomorrow unless you think it warrants an out of hours call? She seems well otherwise.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 12-Jun-16 10:48:04

I think it can wait, but I'd certainly get her seen tomorrow unless she becomes unwell rapidly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now