Talk

Advanced search

Weimaraner with other dogs

(11 Posts)
MaitlandGirl Thu 02-Jun-16 00:42:13

We're looking at adding a Weimeraner to our household but I'm a bit concerned by something I keep reading.

Everywhere I've read about Weimeraners says they don't do well with small furry animals. Is that just rabbits/Guinea pigs etc or does it also include small furry dogs?

We've got papillons and the smallest is only 9in to the shoulder and weighs about 3kgs.

He's great with other dogs but I'm concerned the big, fluffy tail will be too tempting for a Weimeraner.

MaitlandGirl Thu 02-Jun-16 00:46:20

Stupid phone - I do know how to spell Weimaraner, despite what this post says!!

DramaAlpaca Thu 02-Jun-16 00:49:15

I love Weimaraners, beautiful dogs.

AFAIK dogs recognise each other, despite the breed & the size difference, so I reckon you'd be fine. If you had cats or small animals it'd be a different matter.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 12-Jun-16 07:34:05

Personally I'd never have one as 2 attacked our Westie when I was growing up however am aware that could have been the training rather than the breed.

Hoppinggreen Sun 12-Jun-16 09:53:14

Are you getting him from a puppy? If so it should be ok

Therewere5inthebed Tue 14-Jun-16 17:09:29

We've got 3 Weims, three cats and hens, our Weims have never caused a problem as the other animals were here before them.

We've recently added one of the cats and a puppy Weim and they're still getting on beautifully.

Mrsraypurchase Tue 14-Jun-16 17:24:22

Nice dogs but not much brain. Like Dalmatians

Chicksy Tue 14-Jun-16 20:52:48

Truly fabulous dogs and I disagree about not much brain. They are extremely smart. We have a medium sized dog with ours but we meet mini dogs in the park all the time and never any issue.

LHReturns Tue 14-Jun-16 21:01:00

Gorgeous dogs but one nearly killed my small shih tzu in the park a few years ago for no reason at all. Has put me off for life.

Logically I do not assume this was because of the breed. But sadly I am irrationally fearful of the breed because of what happened and the reputation this particular one now has in our area.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Tue 14-Jun-16 21:10:04

We have one, gets on great with our other dogs and is stupidly in love with our two cats BUT he detests small fluffy dogs, he was attacked by 4 llasas and so he has to be muzzled when out. They are beautiful and certainly not stupid but they are very strong indeed, stubborn and can be very wilful. They are a bit clumsy too, ours doesn't realise how big or heavy he is.

LHReturns Tue 14-Jun-16 21:16:06

Hehe - mine definitely fell into the detested small fluffy dog category! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now