Talk

Advanced search

monthly cost of puppies and then dogs/bitches!

(14 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 00:52:08

Me and my DP are thinking about getting a poddle X westie bitch.
Have thought about it long and hard. I have always grown up around dogs and always envisaged myself having dogs.
We both work full time but I am a nurse and do shifts doing a mixture of 8-4 and 1.30-21.30s and DP works 8-4. For the days we are both on 8-4 we plan to get a dog walker to give the dog an hours walk midday/mid time so max on her own for 3/4 hours. When we first get puppy we will build up time left on her own so she gets used to it.
Anyway, the point of the point was to ask how much to budget a month roughly for food etc.
The puppy we're thinking of reserving will come with first set of jabs and wormed. And dog walking a week will be £60 in my local area approx!
TIA.

Wyldfyre Tue 31-May-16 07:11:19

Food can cost little or a lot. Unfortunately the price tag does not give an indication of its quality.

Take a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk. Go for nothing less than a 3 out of 5. Look for one with a named meat source as one of the first three ingredients and avoid anything with maize or wheat as many dogs are intolerant.
Price is not an indication of quality - there are plenty of poor foods with a top price tag.
In my view one of the best price to quality ratios is Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Wagg but far superior quality.
As a general rule the better the quality the less you have to feed in comparison to lower quality foods, so it can actually work out cheaper to buy one that's "more expensive"(ie a higher cost per bag).
I'd also recommend insurance. I pay £15 a month for a 4 year old lab - but if anything goes wrong she is covered.
Annual worming tablets, boosters (though apart from leptospirosis these are actually on a three year rolling cycle so price may vary year to year)

1frenchfoodie Tue 31-May-16 08:39:12

Not sure what size poodle x you plan but sounds like a small dog so dog food is unlikley to be a major expense. We feed Millies Wolfheart which is a high protein, wheat free food of the type Wyld mentions and a quick look at the feeding guide and a few sums suggest a cost of about £17 a month for a dog of up to 10kgs, though puppies get fed more. Iams puppy food is a similar per kg cost to Millies.

Insurance and/or vets bills and the dog walking you mention will be the main costs. If you are on a tight budget factor in chipping, bed, toys and a dog carrier / seatbelt for the car. Treats needn't be expensive, our pup is mainly treated out of his regular kibble.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 31-May-16 10:25:35

I've got a year old lab and he currently costs me about £100 a month. Millie's Wolfheart food which is about £50 a sack and he gets through one a month. £35 per insurance with Petplan - Wyldfyre how are you only paying £15, how much cover have you got?! - and my local vets does a 'Furry Friends' club that costs £15 a month and covers the cost of all inoculations, flea & worming, nail clipping, etc.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 31-May-16 10:28:57

Where are you getting your dog from?

Was it advertised on the internet? Can you see it with its mother? Did the breeder grill you as to your suitability? Did they say you could return to the breeder at any point during its life? Could they provide documentation about health tests carried out on parents of puppy (not just a healthcheck by a vet on the puppy itself)?

These are all questions you should have been asked/told, if not they are backyard breeders or a front for puppy farms, which probably means they haven't done any/all health checks on the parents before breeding.

A poodle/westie is a very "fashionable" mix, very popular with less than scrupulous breeders. Both breeds are prone to breed-specific illnesses, so you could be facing large vet bills if you are unlucky. Good lifetime pet insurance should be one of your first priorities as an owner.

user1458119339 Tue 31-May-16 10:40:22

Consider raw feeding if you have a little spare space. We bought a mini chest freezer (3ft by 3ft) second hand for £40 and we raw feed now. We have a Labrador and a jack Russell, bigger breed costs ~£1.20 per day to feed and the little dog half that. We get raw meat delivered every 1-2 month from an animal feed company that do frozen minced meat in 1lb pouches, balanced for bone, met and offal.
I'm biased but I think my dogs are so much healthier now. The jack Russell is less of a little shit when he's not on processed dog food too.

user1458119339 Tue 31-May-16 10:43:32

Forgot to say I budget about £100 per month for both dogs and we sometimes go over or under but balances in the end. We insured with direct line for £25 per month advanced cover. So £125 altogether, if we just had the little one it would probably be about £70ish if not less.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 14:22:28

Bagel there's no need to be aggressive. Since you are so interested. I come from a farming family so am perfectly able and aware of how to spot a healthy dog/bitch checking eyes/teeth and activeness.
It was not advertised on the internet no.
The puppies are not due until 4th July, and are being bred by a friend and work colleagues friend. My friend and work colleague has my potential pup's brother from the first litter. This will be the bitches second and last litter before she is spayed. Have arranged to meet the mother and will pay a deposit for one of the pups- they're expecting 4. The mum is 1/2 apricot poodle 1/2 westie. Dad is apricot poodle.
Anyway that wasn't the point of my post... So if I budget 450? X

TrionicLettuce Tue 31-May-16 14:38:18

As this is a poodle cross being bred back to a poodle (presuming they're either toy or miniature) then it's very important that both parents have been DNA tested for PRA and vWD as well as the hip scoring and annual eye testing.

A lot of breeders of first crosses don't bother doing DNA tests for conditions not shared between the two breeds as the mating can't possibly produce affected pups. Unfortunately this does mean they don't know if they're producing carriers which could then go on to produce affected pups if they're mated to another carrier.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 31-May-16 15:01:48

I didn't mean to come across as aggressive but all my points are valid.

As Trionic mentioned, still important to have testing.

Just because you know the people, it doesn't mean they should be breeding. The good thing is, you can ask them all the relevant questions. If they haven't thought about these things, then they're just backyard breeders.

ImBrian Tue 31-May-16 17:47:19

I have a 8kg mutt, he costs about £20 a month for food/treats etc, £23 a month insurance with pet plan, £10 a month for wormer/flea treatment, £20 an month for the dog walker on the days I can't get back. Plus any extra bits that he needs has destroyed. More than I thought when I've worked it all out.

insan1tyscartching Tue 31-May-16 17:51:53

You'll need to factor in grooming at about £30 every six to eight weeks.Eric's done every six weeks because his hair grows at an alarming rate and it'snot very practical when he likes to be out and about getting dirty.

ImBrian Tue 31-May-16 18:34:30

Oh yeah I'm forgot about grooming!!!! £30 every 6 weeks but I've bought scissors and trim so he goes a bit longer.

Wyldfyre Tue 31-May-16 22:10:18

Or get a lab and a furminator grin

£30 for a lifetime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now