Gland issues :-(

(12 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Sun 29-May-16 19:03:39

So my year old cocker had to have his anal glands emptied by the vet frequently. I think I need to change his food but everything gives him the runs. Which makes the glands worse apparently. We have fed him lidl food quite a while simply because it's the blandest I could find but I think we need to move on now.
I have been looking on the all about dog food site - Millie's and Eden ranked 5/5 and not going to break the bank but ideas please for the dogs feeble tummy!

Gide Sun 29-May-16 20:12:04

Glands needing emptying is more related to the stool consistency. Increasing his fibre intake would probably help firm him up. Wainwright's trays from Pets at Home has a good amount of fibre on, is palatable and produces solid, easily picked up poo for my little springer. Bone can also help, don't know how you'd feel about giving him some raw food (obviously cooked bone is extremely dangerous) like chicken wings.

Rather than going to the vet to have the glands emptied, get the vet to teach you how to do it internally (the most effective way as long as you haven't got massive fingers as he's a small dog) or ask a groomer to show you the external method. Useful to have the dog on a table for both methods. The glands are at 5 and 7pm very close to the anus and you can usually squeeze up from below, but you must be very careful not to damage them by over squeezing/being too rough.

Gide Sun 29-May-16 20:14:18

P. S. If you prefer dry food, Pets at Home Fishmongers is good, quite bland too, contains potato but more fish than say Fish4dogs. If he's allergic to grains, Wainwright's do a grain free, it's a common thing to be allergic to and I know people have had success with removing grains from the diet.

Cunties Sun 29-May-16 20:14:44

Omg that metallic fishy smell Ewwww. My pug likes to empty hers on my lap. GROSS grin

Claraoswald36 Sun 29-May-16 22:22:33

Thanks all. How would I know if he is allergic to grain? If I feed him
Nothing but dry food he has solid poo but any treat will affect it and hide chews which he loves and they occupy him for hours.
Getting the glands done isn't an issue we have enough inclusive check ups on our vet plan I just don't want him to be uncomfortable all the time

Claraoswald36 Sun 29-May-16 22:24:08

But I could give him raw chicken wings? God he would love that

Gide Mon 30-May-16 16:49:03

He might not be allergic to grains, he might just have sloppy poo because of them. Removing them from his diet will demonstrate if he's better off without them within 2 weeks.

Bash up the chicken wing a little (teatowel and hammer) and hold the tip so the dog has to chew and can't just inhale. You could start by chopping off the tips for him. My spaniels are raw fed, it's not for everyone, it can be scary until the dog's digestive system adapts if you're using bones. There are raw prepared foods out there without bones.

There are grain free dry foods out there-Orijen is amazing or Acana is somewhat cheaper. Have a scout round a big pet food store for the higher quality stuff without grains. Nothing wrong with feeding kibble as long as you know it doesn't contain rubbish and makes ridiculous claims like contains 4% meat! The Fishmongers stuff contains potato but no cereal from what I can see.

LimeJellyHead Mon 06-Jun-16 20:04:33

My dog was 16 years old when he passed away and every month without fail I emptied his anal glands for him. It would have been great to solve the issue but we never did.... so I emptied them for him. I became quite the pro (lol). It's easy peasy once you get the hang of it and much easier than going to the vets each time. I hope you manage to firm up those poos but if not, this once a month should do the trick.

youtu.be/310fqYnN5Nk

Cunties Mon 06-Jun-16 20:50:04

NEVER IN ELEVENTY MILLION YEARS grin

Claraoswald36 Mon 06-Jun-16 21:01:19

Yeh I'm not up for gland emptying either.
So I've been on the all about dog food site. Limiting to what I can buy at pets at home so going to try Aatu (sic) or barking heads. I'm going there tomorrow but I know they sell the raw trays so do I just bite the bullet and get them? I know he would love them

Cunties Tue 07-Jun-16 08:10:01

Chappie is bland and rec for dodgy tums. Have you tried that? Or nature diet sensitive?

elephantcustard Tue 07-Jun-16 21:53:11

My cocker has barking heads grain free (changed from alpha sporting) and frozen carrots/banana...has very firm poos confused did a bit of bum dragging and had her checked out...glands empty (has double worming treatment) so not sure what prob is, only does it a couple of times a week. I would quite like to do raw but actually can't face the faff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now