Dog tired and listless after booster

(4 Posts)
BettyBleue Sat 28-May-16 11:26:37

Hi, I took my dog for her annual booster injection yesterday. She is 8 years old and a cross between a dacshund and chiauaua and normally such a happy dog and full of energy. Today though she hasn't moved from her bed and just seems really tired. I don't recall her being like this before after her booster. Does anyone else know if this is a common reaction? Also, I have read that having an annual booster is actually unnecessary. Is there any truth in this? Thank you.

Wyldfyre Sat 28-May-16 18:31:10

The BVA guidelines are for leptospirosis vaccine annually and everything else on a three year cycle - so one year parvo, the next year distemper etc. Highly likely that is what your vet is doing.
Worth going annually just for the check up.

BettyBleue Sat 28-May-16 21:04:52

Thank you Wyldfyre, I've read a few scare stories about dog boosters, like dogs dying etc. My dog seems more perky this evening, so I think I will continue with the annual boosters.

Wyldfyre Sat 28-May-16 21:08:39

If you are worried you could ask about titre testing.
I did have a long discussion with my vet about both - which is when I learned about the three year cycle.
I go in every year but she's not getting every vaccine every time. What it does allow me to do is get her weighed, wormed and a lipoma checked (I get paranoid after my last dog had one turn to cancer)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now