Talk

Advanced search

is this an acceptable alternative to leaving the dog at home?

(38 Posts)
Wearegoingtobedlehem Mon 23-May-16 15:56:23

Firstly, I've not yet done this. But over recent years I have seen a few colleagues do it- so

I have just started a new full time job. Currently mother in law drops in once a day to let the dog out- but generally loses control/ lets her bark excessively / pull etc ( dog is a 5 yo terrier who I rehomed)

I have realised that my new place of work is actually quite dog friendly. I think ultimately I may be able to have her in the building with me for some part of the day. I have an estate with dog guard/ there is always shady parking/ secure carpark so Windows can be left slightly open/ I can go out in all breaks/ car park is in a lovely large garden. Would it be fair to bring her to work with me- or is she beat left at home?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated -

Greyhorses Mon 23-May-16 16:11:01

I take mine to work on occasion. They are crated, not in a car but in a room away from me so similar set up.

They don't mind. They get a morning an evening toilet break plus a walk at lunch wheras at home they would get no attention. I also have staff popping in and checking on them as they pass. My dogs are used to it and don't bat an eyelid. They have kongs and toys but sleep most of the time and don't mind being left at all.

Downside is that one in particular is frightened of strangers so that's caused a problem. Ive also seen dogs become reactive through bordem and destructive although it hasn't happened to mine. Sometimes work is mad and I do worry about being late for the toilet breaks!

I would worry about theft/being touched by strangers etc as you aren't around to supervise but if it's secured for staff only you should be okay depending on the nature of your dog.

Floralnomad Mon 23-May-16 16:17:02

Assuming your dog is not crated at home I think the dog would prefer the current arrangement ( MIL calling in) , dog can mooch about freely and not be stuck in a confined space .

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 23-May-16 16:35:31

I'd wonder what the dog gains from spending a proportion of the day shut inside a car.

What do your colleagues do with their dogs?

Wearegoingtobedlehem Mon 23-May-16 16:39:32

Thewildrumpypumpus- dare I say it about the same as she gains from being left at home on her own for a proportion of the day. As I say I've never done it yet- and its only seeing others doing it that has made me consider it. She's a tiny 8 kilo dog she would have more than enough room for a bed / bowls/ Kong. I believe all the other dogs stay with their owners all day in and out on site visits- but I'm new here and was going to take the softly softly approach.

Dieu Mon 23-May-16 16:42:56

Definitely best left at home, I'd imagine. When you said that your place of work was dog friendly, I thought you meant that dog could actually be with you at your desk all day! The car thing doesn't sound like an acceptable alternative at all, and I know that mine would be miserable (even accounting for different personalities, I don't think it's a good idea for any dog). Sorry OP, but back to the drawing board me thinks!

clearingaspaceforthecat Mon 23-May-16 16:50:23

How about a Doggy Day care a couple of days a week and/or arranging for a dog walker to come in once a day?
Both would provide more enrichment for your dog than the current arrangement of just being 'let out' by your MIL or being crated for most of the day at your place of work.

Floralnomad Mon 23-May-16 17:49:16

Is the dog crated when she is home alone ?

dudsville Tue 24-May-16 06:06:32

I'm another one not going with the parking lot idea. Is it a small one that only your company uses so that you can leave the windows down? Can you see her or hear her bark from there? That sounds vulnerable to me. Get a dog walker instead. A good one can support/lead on trainING ability to walk on leads.

DorynownotFloundering Tue 24-May-16 06:13:21

Please consider getting a dog walker to go in twice a day or leave the dog with daycare where she will have company & exercise. Leaving a dog all day is cruel & for a rescue can be very stresfull.

confusedandemployed Tue 24-May-16 06:20:28

If dog can be with you - fine. I've been able to do this with mine previously and it's a good arrangement.

If dog is in some sort of dog dormitory - less fine. Mine wouldn't really put up with hat and would bark the house down.

In the car - no way. Im just paranoid about dogs in cars. Mine is nearly 14 and the most I ever leave him in the car for is 5mins while I nip to the shop (ONLY if he's had a walk and ONLY if it's not sunny). But as I said....I'm paranoid about that!

ICJump Tue 24-May-16 06:21:43

Please don't leave your dog in the car. Temperature rises much faster in car than outside. Even a cool day can see a car get hot.

Wearegoingtobedlehem Tue 24-May-16 09:57:08

Thank you for your replies.

Just to reiterate from my OP the car park is private and secure. It is VERY heavily shaded with mature trees. The Windows can be left open.

She would be let out mid morning and mid afternoon with a walk at lunch time as a minimum. Most likely she will integrate into the office with me.

Ultimately I rehomed her from a family who left her 12 hours a day. They didn't even have a collar for her -
She was never walked. Add to that she started barking- environmental health got involved so they then used a shock collar on her!

We have come a long way with her. I have done training with her - whilst I appreciate my suggestion is not perfect I think it could be workable.

newtscamander Tue 24-May-16 10:02:28

Sounds good to me, I know lots of people around my way who work in rural settings and do similar. Soon transfers to a dog bed behind the desk though smile

Wearegoingtobedlehem Tue 24-May-16 10:06:56

Thank you newtscamander smile

ICJump Tue 24-May-16 22:41:32

Being in the shade with the windows down doesn't impact that much.
Before you do it grab a thermometer and test the temp in your car a couple of times.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 25-May-16 09:11:01

If it is a secure carpark could you leave the whole boot open and still have your dog safely tethered inside the car?

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 25-May-16 09:25:56

Thank you icjump- yes I was planning to do that- I have also looked at solar vents that seem to have good reviews. I have also been told about thermometers you can leave in your car that display on an app on your phone- so will be looking into all of these things first

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 25-May-16 09:26:41

Lizziesmacqueen, yes that is another consideration. Thank you

mummytobecabz Wed 25-May-16 09:55:43

It takes less than 10mins for a dog to overheat and die in a car, there are plenty of videos online of vets that have sat in cars with thermometers with the windows open to demonstrate the effects on people and how dangerous it is nevermind on dogs, id be concerned that as its a private car park nobody could stumble upon your distressed dog and smash the window before its too late. There is plenty of advice given every year about how dogs should NOT be left in cars for any length of time. Please dont leave yours! Dogs can die from over heating in a garden nevermind trapped in a car

EasyToEatTiger Wed 25-May-16 10:16:29

If your dog is good under a desk and will be comfy and stay put until you both go out, that's brilliant. If your new work has space for a crate, it might be preferable. Your dog may enjoy a sitting room all of his own (in the form of a crate). Please DON'T LEAVE YOUR DOG IN THE CAR!!!!! No no no please! Although some people use a crate in the boot of the car and leave the back open. But it's not good to leave a dog like that for any great length of time.

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 25-May-16 10:19:10

Mummytobecabz I have always been a dog owner that has always left my dogs home on hot days, that has never understood the appeal to take them out for entire hot days at county shows etc. I have never left a dog in a car on a hot day. In fact I have never left a dog in a car unattended for more than 5 minutes. But I really don't think people are understanding that the car park has dense shade from mature trees. My car has not yet got warm never mind hot - and we have had some really hot days ( a few).

I'm starting to wonder why I'm repeating myself. This isn't me going for a day out leaving the dog in the car all day in a sunny spot with the windows up. This would be part day in dense shade with ventilation- and ultimately in the office.

Anyhow - thank you for the feedback every one so far.

Just out of curiosity what does everyone else do with their dogs by day if they work?

Dieu Wed 25-May-16 10:34:34

But even if the temperature is fine and the dog doesn't overheat, surely the boredom factor would rule it out?

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 25-May-16 10:46:13

Dieu- I don't understand how the dog is less bored at home with less than half the interaction?

I'm getting that working full time with a dog is really not ideal. And I do honestly get that.

I suppose part of my thinking is coming from being involved in the equine / agriculture sector. My vet, my instructor, my farrier, my sheep shearer all have dogs that come to work . They can all be in the vehicle while the owner works for anything up to 2 hours ( same as I am suggesting) and they all seem really happy and healthy - and I would never have considered it to be unfair. Equally I know builders that have their dogs with them. Yet for all of the above sometimes they are working somewhere that they are lucky enough to be able to let them run around but the majority of the time the dogs stay in the vehicle and are only let out to toilet. Then they are walked in between visits when the opportunity allows.

I think the general consensus for my dog seems to think that she'll be happier at home.

Dieu Wed 25-May-16 11:08:23

Only you know your dog OP, and what is best for her. You sound like a lovely owner, and I hate to sound like I'm pissing on your parade!

My dog would go off his head in the scenario you've described, and I don't see how being shut in the confines of a car is any better than being left at home. Not as a long-term solution anyway.

Have you looked into doggy daycare as an option? It would also take the pressure off yourself a bit, and allow your full focus to be on work.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now