Talk

Advanced search

Dog friendly accommodation on Mull? How do I go about finding out about that??

(23 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sun 22-May-16 21:31:13

Clueless.
Never really travelled with the mutt before.
I would like to spend 2 nights on Mull next weekend with 4DSs and DGHound.

Am I insane?
Or can it be done??

TIA.

PacificDogwod Sun 22-May-16 22:26:13

I know, I am insane and unrealistic.
We could camp… <goes looking at camp sites>

Meandyouandyouandme Sun 22-May-16 22:45:23

I was going to recommend Ardnacross, and a cottage called The Square where we stayed about 8 years ago. But just googled it and it's been done up and they don't take dogs now confused Our DDog has a nickname of Edie Mcready, so we had to take her to Tobermory smile

fuckweasel Sun 22-May-16 22:46:11

Lots of cottages here! www.isleofmullcottages.com/pet-friendly.html

I can recommend Fidden Farm campsite, completely other side of the island from Tobermory though (and further away than most people are aware!). Wild camping at Calgary Bay is another option. Both sites are near sheep and lambs so dog would need to be carefully under control.

thetobermoryhotel.com is pet friendly too.

pennygoodlife Sun 22-May-16 22:51:58

Marking place to copy tips!

PacificDogwod Sun 22-May-16 22:53:28

Thank you, both smile

I've looked at the official Isle of Mull website/s and emailed some places.
We shall see.
I know, it's lambing season, and our dog is not just a dog but a greyhound. Who is actually not interested in sheep, but I do know of the breed's reputation. I'm more than happy to have him on lead at all times.

If there was another adult with us I'd me more keen on the camping idea, but just me and 4 inexperienced moaning weans… dunno. <wimp>

PacificDogwod Sun 22-May-16 22:54:02

Oh, and you are more than welcome to take notes, penny - x-posted grin

pennygoodlife Sun 22-May-16 22:56:31

I've asked for top tips on another post too!

fuckweasel Sun 22-May-16 23:00:45

PacificDogwood - have PM'd you.

PacificDogwod Mon 23-May-16 22:00:50

Thank you, fuckweasel thanks

So far no luck, so I am shamelessly bumping this grin

tabulahrasa Mon 23-May-16 22:45:54

I can't see it being that hard to find somewhere TBH?....

Loads of cottages say they'll take dogs and as long as he's on lead in any place where there's sheep, it'll be fine.

PacificDogwod Mon 23-May-16 22:55:05

It'd be easy if I had not left it for a few days before a long bank holiday weekend grin

Still furiously emailing, and getting told to not be so silly (in the nicest possible way).

Also, I am really only looking for 1 night, maybe 2.

tabulahrasa Tue 24-May-16 01:23:43

Oh, I missed that it was next weekend...

Does it have to be mull? You might have more luck round oban and you could still go over to mull...?

PacificDogwod Tue 24-May-16 17:08:38

tabulah, we have a caravan not that far from Oban so would break up the trip there, and then it's only a short hop over to Mull.

I want the boys to see a bit of the West coast of Scotland, and we had no make last minute changes for our plans because of DH's work commitments.

CatherineDeB Tue 24-May-16 17:19:08

Ardnamurchan point is glorious and you can take a ferry to Mull for a day trip - one of my favourite places in the world.

You can camp here - magnificent uninterrupted views at the bottom of the field.

www.ardnamurchanstudycentre.co.uk

They also have a basic cottage and a couple of caravans. Not sure of the dog rule in those but we take our dog when we camp.

The man who owns it is incredible, he retraced Shackleton's journey some years back, a lovely bloke.

www.trevorpotts.com

PacificDogwod Wed 25-May-16 07:54:16

We might do that for our return journey - it's been years since I have been to ARdnamurchan.

We may have to chance it, still no luck… winkshock

LizzieMacQueen Wed 25-May-16 09:06:09

How about a campervan rental though I'm not sure whether they do such short term hires.

As an aside, when they say 'well behaved dogs welcome' that means a BIG FAT NO to dogs that scratch doors - is that right?

tabulahrasa Wed 25-May-16 09:21:27

I'd just book the ferry for the day if you're near oban ...Mull's not that big anyway grin

Though if you're taking a car, book the ferry before anything else, I've only been able to get it one way before (i don't live there now, but I'm from oban)

PacificDogwod Wed 25-May-16 19:51:24

Do you know what, I am thinking about just chancing it! grin
For the accommodation, not the ferry, mind you!!

Oban-Craignure, return Tobermory-Arndamurchan. Cannot wait!!

PacificDogwod Wed 25-May-16 19:54:09

DHound has some faults (vicious farts) but does not scratch or bark. And I very reliably pick up after him...

villainousbroodmare Wed 25-May-16 23:59:58

A former boyfriend, his very sweet flatcoated retriever and I went to Mull some years ago. He booked the accom and I'm sure he specified pet-friendly.
And so it was... so friendly, indeed, that as he and I sat shivering on the bed, contemplating whether it was worth braving the icy bathroom for a shower, the bean a' tí knocked at the door and said, "I've lit a fire..." [our eyes lit up] "...and I was wondering would the dog like to come and sit by it?" [our faces fell].
grin

PacificDogwod Thu 26-May-16 17:28:47

grin

Well, I've found something, sounds v nice and <ahem> cosy cramped but for a night or 2 I really don't care.
100m from the beach, yoo-hoo!

Shame it is now bucketing down here hmm

Thank you for everybody's input thanks

PacificDogwod Tue 31-May-16 17:29:01

Well.

We had a fab weekend grin
The weather was tropical and Mull/Iona/Staffa were stunning.

Poor dog was forever in the car/out of the car, in a boat/off a boat which I think was quite stressful for him. He ended up nipping DS1, I think resource guarding our pick nick backpack or me confused, so we will have to address that as a matter or urgency.

But beaches are just brilliant for digging…. happy, happy dog.

Thank you for everybody's input - we are now plotting a landing on Tiree…. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now