Would we be suitable for a rescue dog?

(10 Posts)
Maladicta Sun 22-May-16 17:20:20

Seriously debating getting a rescue but don't want to waste their time.

Could you lovely experienced rescue people have a lot at our circs and tell me realistically what our chances would be?

We have a large secure garden, youngest is 8 and v responsible around dogs. We don't have cats but there are some which pass through.

My main worry would be our working hours - dh is often abroad but when he's in the UK he's around all the time. I'll be teaching from September but would be able to pop back at lunch to walk - we also have access to a dog walker who would be able to come in if we're not around.

Our ideal dog would be a smaller breed (there's a gorgeous chihuahua we've seen..)

What do you think?

Maladicta Sun 22-May-16 17:20:48

lot? look!

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 22-May-16 17:26:19

Unlikely because you would be leaving the dog for quite a long time, 4 hours is the max they can usually can cope with, and a rescue dog has ready been through stress. It's not fair. Cats are different.

Not impossible, however, if eg because of owner illness they have got one who is used to that pattern.

tooearlytobeup Sun 22-May-16 23:21:25

Our situation was similar. Dh working away from home for long stretches and me working school hours. We arranged for a neighbour to come in part way through the day and the rescues we approached were fine with that.

Whyissheontheship Sun 22-May-16 23:37:26

Definately! Just explain that the dog wouldn't be left for more than 4 hours as you or your husband will either be home or arrange a dog sitter!

it's a million times better than being left in kennels 23 hours a day

honeyroar Sun 22-May-16 23:57:52

Yes if you can explain that you have a dog sitter available then it's quite likely. Best thing is to just speak to the rescue. Good luck.

Scuttlebutter Mon 23-May-16 00:15:39

Absolutely. Lots of rescues allow rehoming to people who work - the key is to show the rescue the arrangements you have put in place for working days, which you have already thought about. smile

Good luck!

ScattyHattie Mon 23-May-16 04:25:03

Rescues are all individual so what they believes right for their dogs will vary and it can also depend on the individual dog what will suit them, some just don't cope being left for long. young puppies usually need someone around most of the time so no decent rescue would place in a home where its left hours.
Whilst i believe it can suit some dogs dogs, i can understand why rescues may prefer not to take a chance with their dogs welfare and opt to have a blanket policy like 4hrs max per day. There's a higher risk of adoptions not working out when dogs are left for longer periods as the potential for noise, destruction, toileting accidents increases which can be signs of a dogs distress/separation anxiety or just utter boredom.

Thankfully its not all rescues, I adopted 2 greyhounds while i had similar work hours OP . They often don't need as much human attention or mental stimulation as some breeds probably as they sleep so much. That particular breed rescue fine with me being out 8hrs as long as the dogs were able to go out every 4hrs to toilet & i was able to nip home in my lunch hour, it is tiring as you're not then getting a rest as such.

You can only discuss with the rescue that has the Chi, but don't take it to heart if its a no, there are lots of rescues and aren't just limited to those that have kennels local to you. You may need to be patient to find the right rescue/dog

Maladicta Mon 23-May-16 09:19:56

Thanks all smile

There are several rescues near us so we'll chat to them about who they think would suit us best.

ImBrian Thu 26-May-16 08:24:32

I tried a couple who weren't happy with me working 3 days a week with a dog walker (for current dog) but I also have a one year old child which contributed towards a no. Hopefully you'll get a yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now