Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - dog licked my baby!?!

(51 Posts)
13umpuu Sun 22-May-16 09:58:47

So my dog-owning friend is cuddling my baby and (unexpectedly) kneels down to introduce baby to her (good natured and used to children) dog. The dog then licks my baby on the mouth and hand!!!

It all happened very quickly but at this point I would have lifted the baby away but I had to ask her to stop (which she did, and she apologised) - question is - AIBU to be totally grossed out and ought I to use antibacterial wash on lick zone (I have so far rinsed with warm water...)

Baby was unfazed, dog calm and it won't happen again...

Dieu Sun 22-May-16 10:03:52

Och, nobody died!

Costacoffeeplease Sun 22-May-16 10:03:59

Wouldn't bother me

Mishaps Sun 22-May-16 10:05:23

Would bother me - a lot!

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sun 22-May-16 10:05:41

I understand that you want to keep your baby clean and safe - it's a very helpful, strong natural instinct! Your friend apologised and won't let it happen again, it's time to forget about it. Soon your little one will be eating dead leaves in the garden and strange crumbs found on the floor.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Sun 22-May-16 10:07:24

It would bother me that someone else allowed that to happen to my baby. I wouldn't be too worried about the dog lick itself though. A wash with warm water and soap will be fine.

LittleNelle Sun 22-May-16 10:08:28

Gross. I'm sure your baby will be fine and your friend won't do it again. I'd cross her off the babysitting list though!

artlessflirt Sun 22-May-16 10:13:23

Gosh, I've lost count of the amount of times our dog has licked my 6.5 month old - must be a terrible parent but she finds it hilarious!

In my opinion YABU to be grossed out, although if you're not a dog fan then can see why you might be! Give baby a wash and a wipe down and all will be right.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 22-May-16 10:17:37

Your baby will probably be okay wink

Costacoffeeplease Sun 22-May-16 10:18:17

Probably grin

HoneyDragon Sun 22-May-16 10:19:51

As long as your baby was clean I'm sure the poor doggy will be ok.

Abraid2 Sun 22-May-16 10:21:39

Wash with soap and water and be grateful for all those antibodies that will boost your child's immune system. wink

Despite my attempts to stop this, my children were frequently licked by our dogs as babies. I did notice that they rarely had stomach upsets and my daughter never had a day off sick at school until she was about 9.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 22-May-16 10:23:41

Honey grin.

It's fine, there are millions of babies born into dog owning households who no doubt get licked weekly.

maitaimojito Sun 22-May-16 10:39:48

Wouldn't bother me. She apologised and I think people can be too clean these days.

apple1992 Sun 22-May-16 10:42:09

I'm sure it will boost baby's immune system! I agree with PP that some people are too clean these days.

confusedandemployed Sun 22-May-16 10:43:18

Ye gods. You're doing well if that's all you have to worry about.

gleegeek Sun 22-May-16 10:49:15

My midwife told me when we brought dd home from the hospital to let our dog sniff and lick her all over as a way of letting him accept her as part of the family. It worked, they were best friends and she has always been a fit as a fiddle type child. Try not to worry!

redannie118 Sun 22-May-16 10:52:21

Theres been tons of research done that babies born in houses with dogs get significant fewer minor diseases coughs colds stomach upsets as the dogs tongues carry friendly bacteria that build up a babies natural resistance. I have 3 kids and 2 dogs and I genuinely cant remember the last time any of the kids were sick. You do sound like you are blowing this massively out of proportion , are you one of those mums that sluices everything and everyone with bleach before you let it near your baby? If you are you are not doing the health of your baby any good !

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sun 22-May-16 10:53:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 22-May-16 10:55:58

Did you ring 111 and the police?

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 22-May-16 10:58:30

Depends how old baby is. If a newborn then I wouldn't have been happy about it and I like dogs a lot.
If baby is older and putting strange things in mouth then I'd chalk it up as a one-off immune system boost.

lamusic Sun 22-May-16 10:59:26

Same as you kissing her innit

pigsDOfly Sun 22-May-16 11:07:25

Yes, very much depends on the age of the baby. Once they get past a certain age they do tend to put nasty things in their mouths.

I'm pretty relaxed about this sort of thing but I don't let my dog lick my mouth, I think it's revolting, dog''s chew on all manner of horrible things and their tongues are full of germs.

All the pps saying it's fine would be happy with a dog licking their small babies mouths after it's eaten another dog's poo then?

Greyhorses Sun 22-May-16 12:01:09

My baby has been licked more than once and seems to still be alive grin

I do tell them not to do it though!

mollie123 Sun 22-May-16 16:08:21

I don't think it was a good idea to introduce baby to dog by dangling baby in front of dog(no matter how good natured the dog is) - depends how old the baby was and how big the dog.
but licking - nah - just wash the mouth and hand and baby will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now