Talk

Advanced search

12 yr old lab messing in the house

(37 Posts)
ladybird69 Sat 21-May-16 23:10:36

sad my lab has started messing in the house, all times of the day. I regularly let him out, leave the doors wide open, tell him to go, then I turn around and he's been in the house even minutes later. I've always had dogs and the only time that they have ever messed is right at the end of their lives, but he seems happy and well apart from the messing. It's been the past few weeks, I just don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

gamerchick Sat 21-May-16 23:13:00

I think I would take him to the vets for a check up.

Catzpyjamas Sat 21-May-16 23:16:58

Definitely get a senior pet check at the vets. Hope he can get some treatment started and things settle down soon.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 21-May-16 23:35:51

One of our dogs did this - he'd be asleep and a poo would 'fall out' and he'd wake up and look annoyed at us for putting a poo next to him while he was sleeping

It was the first sign of nerve damage due to arthritis, we had him for another 12-18 months, but eventually his back legs gave way and we had to have him pts

ladybird69 Sat 21-May-16 23:38:56

Yes I thought it's gonna be a trip to the vets hopefully nothing wrong with my boy. Thanks for your advice flowers

ladybird69 Thu 23-Jun-16 01:08:20

here's an update he's had blood test, X-ray 2 appts. he's gone downhill and can't put foot to floor and can't get into car. he has horrific arthritis in his elbow and on same leg there is a shadow on his humerus that vet thinks is the beginning of a tumour. he's on a cocktail of strong meds and prescription diet to lose weight ASAP. has anyone had experience of anything like this? trying not to worry but it's really not good news is it. Tia

ChairRider4 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:49:51

I would give him two -4 weeks see if meds help with pain

But sadly no looks not good news

ladybird69 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:07:57

Thanks chair I'm trying not to think of worst case scenario but bless him things aren't looking great. He's dosed up at e moment but long term I don't want him to be in pain. He's been a wonderful little lad. It's so heartbreaking

ladybird69 Tue 05-Jul-16 01:21:10

Hiya just updating and trying to get some ideas. He's the same if not worse. All the vets cared about was getting me to buy diet food for an extortionate price, which he won't eat!!! I know it would help long term to lose weight, but short term he's in agony, he doesn't even get up to greet visitors. My friends are telling me it's time to let go he's not happy eating or drinking, and what he does eat etc he brings it back up and messes everywhere- well trying to get to the back garden. The foot won't bear any weight so when he can he's shuffling across the floor.
Also in March he had a huge bleed from the elbow on the same side, could that have anything to do with it. God basically I'm grasping for straws not to have to make that decision. I've got insurance but the policy is useless I've paid out £1,000 so far and got £20 back due to high excess and they only pay for a percentage! And I'm on disability benefits so I haven't the funds to do groundbreaking treatment sad sorry for the long rant

AcrossthePond55 Tue 05-Jul-16 02:07:26

I'm so sorry to say this, but I think it's time. It just doesn't seem as if your boy has good quality of life.

It's such a hard decision to make, I know. But there comes a time when we have to put our own needs to the side and think of them. All he knows is that he's suffering and in pain.

We had our beloved Lab for almost 15 years. I still miss her and it's been 4 years. But she was ill and in pain. It was hard but in the end the kindest thing we could have done for her.

ladybird69 Tue 05-Jul-16 02:28:16

Thanks Acrossthepond55 God it's so unfair. No he has no quality of life, he can't play or run about. he only wags his tail at me bless him. Think I'm going to have to have a cards on the table kinda talk to the vet, he can't carry on like this.
Thanks for replying bless you

AlcoChocs Tue 05-Jul-16 08:51:57

Heartbreaking, so sorry for you, but it sounds like time for him to go.
Looking at my 7 year old lab now, can't bear the though of losing him but if he was suffering and in pain hope I'd be brave enough to make the decision.

ChuffMuffin Tue 05-Jul-16 10:49:56

I'm so sorry to read your boy isn't well. He is so very lucky to have such a kind and caring owner who puts his needs first. Please don't beat yourself up about the groundbreaking treatment. You sound like you are doing absolutely everything you can for him. flowers

I am always here to listen if you need to talk/vent. smile

AcrossthePond55 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:07:03

It certainly is hard. They work their way into our hearts in a way that no human can. They are the repository for the secrets and sorrows we can tell no one else. They offer us comfort, sympathy, and love no matter what, without question or ulterior motive. They know the very worst of us as well as the best, they know us in a way that no friend or relative does. And they love us still.

But I think that the truly unconditional love they give us creates in us a great responsibility. A responsibility to act in their best interests, because we are the only voice they have.

Thinking of you and your boy.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Tue 05-Jul-16 14:10:12

It's so sad but the last act of kindness you can do for your lovely dog is to take his pain away.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 05-Jul-16 20:48:56

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this but I think he's trying to tell you that he's had enough. Better a week too early than a day too late. flowers

ladybird69 Wed 06-Jul-16 00:03:24

Oh god, he had me up all night fussing and being sick so I got up this morning with my mind set. But up he got joined the cats for breakfast went out, hobbling and did his business and been much happier today so now I'm feeling terribly guilty about thinking about making the call. I'm sure that you all identity with that. Ill see how the rest of the week goes :-/ it's comforting to know that you are all here and understand what I am going through. I chose him as a puppy aged 3 wks and he's been my strength when I was going through some hellish times but I need to be the strong one now and watch for the signs. Bless you flowers

ladybird69 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:22:28

RIP my beautiful beautiful boy xxx

TheGiantSausage Fri 08-Jul-16 12:32:56

I'm so sorry, what a wonderful life you've had together though.
Take good care of yourself, I can't even imagine your pain right now. sad

AcrossthePond55 Fri 08-Jul-16 19:28:14

Oh bless you. You're in my prayers

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Fri 08-Jul-16 19:41:45

Sending flowers. You will have a difficult time ahead , but try to focus on the lovely times you had together, and that he isn't in any pain now.
We are going through similar with our 18 year old cat, sad times ahead, we know, but he has had a wonderful life, as I'm sure your beautiful boy did too.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 08-Jul-16 21:59:03

I'm so sorry ladybird, it's horrible I know but you would never forgive yourself if you thought you'd let him suffer. You did the best thing you could do for him. It's the greatest act of love, that last thing that you can do. flowers

BMW6 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:18:26

You loved him enough to let him go. He was unhappy and in pain. and you have released him from that misery and confusion. flowers

pippinandtog Sun 10-Jul-16 11:18:39

Just found this thread, and very sorry to read how it all ended, ladybird.
You did all you could for your boy.

EasyToEatTiger Sun 10-Jul-16 21:39:23

It is heartbreaking to lose a dogflowers. Thinking of you. You made the final act of kindness to your dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now